I just wanted to recount a story about the incredible customer service I got recently from Umpqua, specifically Bruce Olson, New Fly Manager. Every company out there, regardless of the industry need to take a page from the Umpqua book.

I recently had some issues with the Tiemco 5263 hook that I use for some of my streamers. On several occasions I had hooks break well above the vise clamp in point if I got snagged on the bottom. After the last time it happened I emailed Umpqua to inquire if this was normal as I never experienced it before. As I am sure many of you realize, sometimes am email to a company is a waste of time with many not even bothering to respond; many in the fly fishing world are at the top of my lousy service list.

The same day as my email I received a phone call from Bruce who was generally concerned with my issues. We talked at length about everything from fishing to bourbon and at the conclusion of our conversation he offered to replace all of the 5263?s I had in stock at no cost to me and I was free to do whatever I wanted with my old hooks. Here is a company that just doesn?t care about what the dealers or distributors are talking about, but is concerned about the little guys like me too; that is really amazing in this day and age of crummy customer service.

My hat is off to Umpqua, you have a customer for life!