+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patching some breathables

Default Patching some breathables

I have a specific question about my leaking waders and where to attack them next. They're Cabela's Dry-Plus, the tan ones from about 4 yrs. ago (around $140). They started leaking in one of the boots a couple months ago, and I methodically began Aquasealing them. I've put a bead along most of the seams on the bootie (inside and out) but they still leak. It seams like it might be where they join the leg. I'm afraid I might have Aquasealed them to death, because it seems like they're leaking more now.

So, anybody know what the most likely spot is on these particular waders? Trouble spots you've encountered? I have yet to hit the entire seam whey they connect to the rest of the wader, and also wondered about the gravel guard hinging back and forth.

Thanks!!

preast:

Have you tried checking them by turning them inside out and filling the bottoms with water?

I had a similar problem with my Cabela?s Dry Plus waders. I asked a friend who works in a fly shop and he said that they were probably leaking where the gator joined the bootie; one large tube of Aquaseal later they still leaked. I then turned them inside out and in a wash basin, filled one portion of a leg at a time supported on a small cooler. I then held the leg straight up without lifting the wader up off of the cooler. I instantly saw where the leak was; right at the heel portion of the bootie where all those seams come together in an inverted Y; nowhere near the place I gooped up before.

I applied a generous amount of Aquaseal at that location on both booties and they no longer leak. I thought that possibly the design of the bootie was partially to blame since there were so many seams but I just got a new pair of Simms RiverTek waders and the bootie is constructed in the same way with lots of seams; hopefully with way better construction than the Cabela?s.

If this doesn?t resolve your problem and you can do without them for awhile, send them back to Cabela?s with a note explaining the problem. I told them about my waders and they told me that after they check them out they will more than likely replace them or issue me a gift certificate for some or the entire purchase price. Mine are going back right after Memorial Day for a replacement pair to use as a spare now that I have the Simms.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 20 May 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 20 May 2005).]

Bam,

Ain't Aquaseal great.

I prefer Marine GOOP, ... its "thicker", but seems to tough the salt a bit more.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:45530]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:45530]
    Christopher Chin

Aquaseal rocks now that I discovered the dinky tubes and know to wear rubber gloves when using it.

I think my Cabela's Dry Plus (the plus stands for Dry Plus Wet) leak where the boot meets the leg. How would you reverse these to check for leaks since the boot doesn't turn inside out?

Yeah, Aquaseal is awesome. I tend to go on patching sprees, so a tube only lasting a couple months is OK for me.

Good idea on filling them. They only leaking at depths over 2' and only when I'm wearing them. At first, I stood in a kitchen trash can full of water and found a few small holes around the seams (there isn't just one hole). I think I managed to get all those, but there seems to be one left somewhere higher on the bootie.

I think I'll look into calling Cabela's--is 4 years too long? I wouldn't ordinarily do it but I hardly used them until the last year and they look pretty much new. They should've taken more use.

Dry Plus Wet--funny. I guess I got what I paid for then!

preast:

The Cabela's boys may shoot someone for me saying this but when I talked to their customer service people; I got the feeling I would get a new pair in exhange of my now two year old pair; just a hunch. I would guarantee you'll get something in exchange. I'll let you know how my situation turns out when I return mine.

By the way, you wouldn't have a picture of yourself standing in waders in a trash can full of water would you? That I gotta see

flyangler:

Good question! I guess you'll have to fill them outside out. I've done it that way too, I guess I figured turning them inside out made more sense on a stocking foot.

My spice seems to think I can't return these because they are the replacement for the original pair of dry plus wets.

bam- what if they only leak from the outside in?

flyangler:

While I can't speak for Cabela's about a thosand years ago I used to have the old latex waders and sent back three successive pair. All were replaced without question.

It doesn't mean a thing but my point is if they replaced them once, it doesn't mean they won't again.

In regards to only leaking one way, I guess you have to try it and see what happens. I guess you could turn the wader portion inside out and with the boot sort of inside the leg fill them with water.

+ Reply to Thread