+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wrist for a beginner

Default wrist for a beginner

My wife and I are trying to decide which is the better way to teach our 13 year old to cast. I am self taught with a little help from one of Lefty's books, but I tend to fish with a stiff wrist, My wife learned from her father to cast moving only at the wrist. Whats the best way to get the boy casting with the least frustration?

Hey Merak,

Welcome to FAOL. One way that may be of help is to have your son wear a long sleeve shirt and place the butt end of the rod under the sleeve while he learns to cast. That will help to keep his wrist straight until he gets comfortable with the proper form.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:d08f9]FlyReelDots.com[/url:d08f9]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

I will take that as a stiff wrist vote. I have been a fly fisherman since I was about 12 or 13 and I'm 43 now. Mostly warm water, grew up in Lansing MI. Brings back a lot of memories reading the Great Rivers section. Fished the Grand at Moores Dam for carp and catfish as a boy. This is a great website.
    Anybody else? The wife will be upset if no one supports her side!

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

My vote is a combination of the two. And the book I'm reading would support this.

------------------
    ---David

(formerly known as "clueless", and only the name has changed)

I'd suggest a combination of both wrist and arm as the wrist "snapping" correctly gets the line moving that much faster, more speed in the air, more distance, more control etc
    I suppose its also dependant on the rod as I do tend towards stiffer rods that need loading with a bit of grunt

Tough question. I'll vote for the combination.

Just to give you another option to ponder. First, I'd like to recommend you read either Fly-Fishing with Children: A guide for Parents by Phil Brunquell MD or First Cast: Teaching Kids to Fly-Fish by Phil Genova. I've read both books before I started my three daughters out and it helped me navigate through the pitfalls of teaching my children to fly fish. Good-luck!

I'll vote for the combination, sort of.

I think you should start him out with the stiff wrist approach, and then let him ease into applying some more power with the wrist. This will both be easier on a young wrist and will reduce the likelihood that he'll be prone to dropping the rod to horizontal on the backcast.

As an alternative to the shirt sleeve approach, you can use a bandana to tie the rod butt to his wrist (with some slack) to limit the range of motion.

Merak

Welcome to FAOL. While I'm not in favor of allot of wrist when casting, I won't try and tell you which is right or wrong. I will say that in my experience too much wrist causes me not to throw a nice tight loop.

What I will suggest is that you get a copy of Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting. Either the dvd or video. Another suggestion would be to look at Fly Fish TV on OLN. Bruce Richard's from Scientific Anglers did a series of casting instruction. He is one of the best casters/instructors IMHO. His series may also be in dvd, but I don't know for sure.

Last but certainly not least, check out Fly Fishing Basics here on FAOl.

Good Luck!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I wish there wasn't such a varied way of teaching fly casting. It seems even the experts advocate different styles of casting. This leads to confusion, and mis-information.

While there are certainly great casters who use a wrist action, or "power snap" to achieve more line speed, or throw a different sized loop, most of the time, using your wrist will leave you with a poorly formed loop and less line speed. This seems like a controversial opinion, but I always tell my clients this, " Just think about how many muscles, and how big those muscles are in your forearm, bicep, tricep, and shoulder compared to the small muscles that move your wrist." It's much more efficient to utilize those bigger muscles.

Another reason to SEVERLY limit the movement of your wrist while casting is to prevent wide open loops by breaking your wrist too much during the back or forward cast. If you are casting correctly with little wrist movement and using mostly your elbow joint as a pivot point, it's hard to make the mistake of opening your casting stroke too far, and drop your rod tip on the back cast. Your forearm will come in contact with your bicep muscle, and it will stop your cast at 1:00. If you're using your wrist however, you can and probably will break it too much and create a wide open loop that is not efficient.

The best caster I've ever seen is Joan Wulff. She casts the most beautiful loops with pinpoint accuracy, and she uses almost no wrist. Try it the next time you're out, and at the very least, you won't be as tired after casting all day.

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts.
    www.customflys.com

You all have been most helpful. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread