+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Fish-In Planning Stages

Default Florida Fish-In Planning Stages

I already posted this as a Reply, but figured I'd throw it out there under its own topic.

I checked the tides, and the last two weeks of February look fantastic. Extremely good evening tides for snook under the lights, and the daytime fishing should also be excellent.

I have a special rate at the Venice Holiday Inn. It's a very nice place, convenient to boat ramps, restaurants, etc. $98 per night (regularly $150). You also can pitch a tent or camper at Oscar Sherer State Park but I'd get on that one real quick or they'll get booked.

Depending upon how y'all want to do this, we could start with an orienteering session (Kevin and I will provide charts of the entire area for those who wish to wade or 'yak) and/or instruction in how to cast and fish in salt water.

If several of you book rooms at HI. they'll also give us the use of a meeting room. When I bring groups down from Chicago, etc., I provide vises and materials for tying, plus a cooler you can fill with soda or beer from the food and liquor store across the street. The HI also brings in a TV/VCR to play tapes. It's a nice way to covey-up without one person's room getting trashed.

As we did last year, my back yard is available for a BBQ or two.

Check AirTran for flights into Sarasota. Today I got a notification from them (I fly AirTran a lot so I'm on their e-list) with sale fares for this winter. Round trip from Pittsburgh or Rochester is $178, LaGuardia is $198. Indy is like $135!

Let me know what y'all think. If there's enough interest we can move along.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

Capt. Tony,

I'm very interested. I might just be able to pull it off. You mentioned using a yak. Would it be worth driving down from MO with one, or should I just rent one for a few days?

I hope this works out, because I'd love to get into some snook.

Thunderthumbs.

Default 'yak fishing

One of the places here rents 'yaks for $35 per day, or 7 days for the price of 5 ($175). Thast would be great for redfish and sea trout, but I really don't think it's a good idea for night snook. Too much risk of getting run over by inattentive or alchohol-hazed powerboaters in the dark.

You could also use a 'yak to boogie up some of the creeks, though. Maybe a better place for night snooking than in the ICW.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

Default How far?

While my home port is about as far from Florida as it's possible to get in the lower 48, I'll be in Naples in the time frame you've got targeted.

How far from Venice is Naples? Don't know about our schedule yet, but if things work out, the Fish In would be a blast...

Thanks,

Keith

If there aren't any traffic accidents on I-75 it takes about 90 minutes Naples to Venice.

There's also a possibility that we'll fish Everglades National Park, too. Just depends upon who attends, where they stay, etc.

Stay in touch.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

When would this be ???

I have been thinking about a trip . . this might be a perfect excuse to do it. Fishing with some others would be great fun. I am also interested in a yak . . Maybe I could team up with someone for a drive down . ? . ?

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Yippee! We were just talking about if there would be one this year and where. Hmmm...trying to figure out whether we should drive down and bring the yaks or just rent them. Capt. Tony, are those rentals sit-in or sit-on? Or can we have the name of the rental place so we can check?

Is February better than March? I remember it being pretty cold last year in early March.

Call Mary Gordon or Hal White at Silent Sports Outfitters. They specialize in sit-on-top kyaks. 941-966-5477.

I don't know what else they have, or their rates. The other prices came from Economy Tackle in Sarasota.

The weather down here is the same as everywhere else--unpredictable. Just gotta pay your dime and take your chances. The night snook fishing should be superb, though, based upon the tides.

I have a feature article coming out next month in Fly Fisherman magazine that will get you pumped up.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

I am in! It was nice to meet everybody last year! any help or info just let me know!

KevinC
    Casey Key Anglers and Outfitters
    Venice, Florida
    http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com/

ok i'm in i missed last years by not checking the site i guess i'll nedd to take some leasons so i don't look like a idiot i'll keep watching so i don't miss it

+ Reply to Thread