+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Poly Yarn Strike Indicators

Default Question: Poly Yarn Strike Indicators

Hello,

I went fishing on Sunday to take advantage of unseasonably warm weather, and decided to try a PT nymph under a strike indicator (poly yarn). FYI, I don't have much experience with nymphs or strike indicators, so I simply attached the indicator following the directions on the package (similar to those below).

"Highly visible poly yarn easily attaches to your leader by loop for adjustable depth. Since they are reusable, they are economical. They can also be treated with floatant for a higher ride in the water."

Unlike the directions on the web site (see above) the package did not mention applying floatant, and I did not think of it. Well, the indicator sank like a stone. I just removed the indicator and tied on a tandom rig of a Stimulator (for an indicator) and a PT nymph off of the hook bend.

Did I do something wrong, or are these things junk?

Thanks.

Dave

Default Re: Question: Poly Yarn Strike Indicators

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Fulton
    Hello,

I went fishing on Sunday to take advantage of unseasonably warm weather, and decided to try a PT nymph under a strike indicator (poly yarn). FYI, I don't have much experience with nymphs or strike indicators, so I simply attached the indicator following the directions on the package (similar to those below).

"Highly visible poly yarn easily attaches to your leader by loop for adjustable depth. Since they are reusable, they are economical. They can also be treated with floatant for a higher ride in the water."

Unlike the directions on the web site (see above) the package did not mention applying floatant, and I did not think of it. Well, the indicator sank like a stone. I just removed the indicator and tied on a tandom rig of a Stimulator (for an indicator) and a PT nymph off of the hook bend.

Did I do something wrong, or are these things junk?

Thanks.

Dave
    Nah, it needs floatant.

Not my favorite. I like the Micro Ball strike indicators, personally.

Dave,

They work quite well.

Need floatant, though.

I pretreat all of the ones I tie with a permanent waterproofer. They float all day.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Strike Indicators

And that permanent waterproofer is.....?

Default Watershed

Check out "WATERSHED" PERMANENT WATERPROOFING LIQUID at Feather-Craft $4.95

http://www.feather-craft.com/products.a ... D&search=1
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Default Watershed

Check out "WATERSHED" PERMANENT WATERPROOFING LIQUID at Feather-Craft $4.95

http://www.feather-craft.com/products.a ... D&search=1
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I think the type of yarn matters. I tried some that came in a little dispenser with three colors and was NOT impressed. The ones I made from polypropylene macrame yarn worked much better.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try some floatant, and then switch to something more permanent if needed.

The manufacturer did have two things right though. They are easy to attach, and they are highly visible ... I had no trouble seeing that the indicator was sinking.

Hello Dave, when I nymphed I didn't mind if the strike indcator sank some, which I could control with a slight lift. I always felt like I was getting a deeper, better drift when that happened. Key though was making sure just leader was underwater with the strike indicator most times. Hope that helps some.

Merry Christmas,

MontanaMoose

I tie up my own and then dunk them in Rain-X. Also, I fluff them up by rubbing the indicator across the velcro on my vest. Works great.

+ Reply to Thread