Got my first Mad River (Ohio) Brown Trout yesterday. A beautiful 18"er. What a gorgeous fish, dark gold on top and lightening up as it moves toward the belly, with ruby red spots bejeweling its body.
I was using a home made #4 Olive Strymph with a #12 light Hare's Ear beadhead dropper. I felt it, then I didn't, and then I did. It was hooked to one side of the nose with the dropper. I think it went for the Strymph, then dropped it, and then got snagged on the nose as I set the hook late. Another reason that I think it was after the larger bait is that when I netted it, it spit up a Sculpin the size of my fly.
I had spent the morning exploring in another spot with no luck. I still need help on reading trout water. I had taken a streamside class with the fly shop 2 years ago and remembered where we had practiced nymphing. I remembered Brian setting me up in a spot and saying that if anyone had a chance to catch a fish, my spot was the best. I moved up one bridge and found that area (a 30' run). I fished it up and down 3 times, losing flies, adding weight, moving the bobber, and really focusing on my drifts. Finally, the 4th time through, just above a fallen log where I had lost 3 flies, the snag pulled back. It was a great fight, the fish made 4 good runs into the current and had 2 net spooks before I got him.