Choices on plaes to stay are too numerous to mention. I like Key West a lot becuase of the fishing opportunities.

The following is based on Key West.
It also depends on just what you are looking for (quiet off the beaten path B&B, standard clean hotel, party central where all the action is, etc). If you like the nightlife and want to be able to walk to all the shops and restaurants then you will want to be near Duval Street. If you don't want to hear the partying all night then you want to be off Duval a couple blocks or toward the south end. Again, it all depends on what you are looking for.

As far as guides go , that depends too. Are you looking for an offshore/bluewater trip? Reef trip, flats/skinny water? Depending on when you are planning on going, the best guides may well be booked already.

Having spent more than my fair share of time down there and knowing lots of folks I can recommend some of the best of the best. Keep in mind that these guys are the cream of the crop and are highly sought after by TV shows and many in the tackle industry (writers, manufacturers, show owners, etc).

Nearshore/reef/bluewater
Capt. Steve Rodger - Steve is a born and raised Conch which is a rare thing. He has fished these waters since he was old enough to stand on his own. He's as knowledgable guide as you will ever meet and unlike many, he's as excited each morning as his customers. He's a LOT of fun to fish with. I have had many memorable days catching all sorts of fish on the fly and light tackle with him including Tuna, Snapper, Grouper, Sailfish, Wahoo, Dolphin, Sharks and so on. His website is www.spearonecharters.com

Flats/Skinny Water
Capt. Justin Rea is fantastic. He came highly recommended by writers the guys from Sage and others in the fly industry. He's a lot of fun to spend the day with and he really knows where those skinny water fish are and how to get them. His website is http://www.stingreacharters.com

If they are booked you can absolutely trust who else they refer you to. If you call them, tell them Jeff from Mustad says hello : )

Looking forward to being down there a few times between Feb - April : )

There are of course several nice spots in the keys but my first choice is Key West or close to it.