I'm always looking for good water stories and there were a couple of interesting ones in the Sunday Oregonian.
First there is the story about those naughty Sea Lions, who keep biting the salmon that fishermen are TRYING to reel in!
It's all out war folks!
We still can't kill sea lions, but as time goes on, there are more allowable weapons at the fishermen's diposal.
The FEDERAL List warns against using "live ammunition, bows and arrows, crossbows, spear guns, harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail-studded bats/poles/clubs, snares, concertina wire (no kidding, it's in there, poisons and guard dogs.
Feel free though to try underwater firecrackers, horns, bells, boats (no touching!), slingshots, paintball guns and rubber bullets.
Fiocchi Ammunition USA makes 12 gauge shotgun shells packed with either 00 rubber buckshot or a single rubber slug. I don't know about YOU, but if EYE got hit by a rubber slug from a 12 gauge, I wouldn't visit the Columbia River ever again!
Authorities warn that the salmon at the end of your line has to be in danger of being eaten, before your authorized to take legal action. OH! also, you might want to warn the fishermen around you that your going to blast the sea lion!
There is a device that is being tested by Smith-Root Inc. of Vancouver Washington, that will give the fisherman the ability to spot a sea lion on sonar and send electrical pulses to ward of a sea lion.
I remember when the only thing I had to worry about was getting home late from my fishing trip and having to hear about it!
The SECOND story is out of the great city of Boise Idaho.
Headline; Plan For Whitewater Park Aims To Make A Big SPLASH.
City planners are pushing to turn a stretch of the Boise River near downtown Boise into a whitewater rafting park.
"It would be great, said Scott Van Hoff, who manages Idaho's National Flood Insurance Program.
"It would be like,'It's lunch hour, let's go have some fun!'".
I can't wait to hear comments from our Boise members!
Doug