+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FUN! With Water!

Default FUN! With Water!

I'm always looking for good water stories and there were a couple of interesting ones in the Sunday Oregonian.
    First there is the story about those naughty Sea Lions, who keep biting the salmon that fishermen are TRYING to reel in!
    It's all out war folks!
    We still can't kill sea lions, but as time goes on, there are more allowable weapons at the fishermen's diposal.
    The FEDERAL List warns against using "live ammunition, bows and arrows, crossbows, spear guns, harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail-studded bats/poles/clubs, snares, concertina wire (no kidding, it's in there, poisons and guard dogs.
    Feel free though to try underwater firecrackers, horns, bells, boats (no touching!), slingshots, paintball guns and rubber bullets.
    Fiocchi Ammunition USA makes 12 gauge shotgun shells packed with either 00 rubber buckshot or a single rubber slug. I don't know about YOU, but if EYE got hit by a rubber slug from a 12 gauge, I wouldn't visit the Columbia River ever again!
    Authorities warn that the salmon at the end of your line has to be in danger of being eaten, before your authorized to take legal action. OH! also, you might want to warn the fishermen around you that your going to blast the sea lion!
    There is a device that is being tested by Smith-Root Inc. of Vancouver Washington, that will give the fisherman the ability to spot a sea lion on sonar and send electrical pulses to ward of a sea lion.
    I remember when the only thing I had to worry about was getting home late from my fishing trip and having to hear about it!
    The SECOND story is out of the great city of Boise Idaho.
    Headline; Plan For Whitewater Park Aims To Make A Big SPLASH.
    City planners are pushing to turn a stretch of the Boise River near downtown Boise into a whitewater rafting park.
    "It would be great, said Scott Van Hoff, who manages Idaho's National Flood Insurance Program.
    "It would be like,'It's lunch hour, let's go have some fun!'".
    I can't wait to hear comments from our Boise members!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I will be the first from Idaho to respond. I have heard rumors of this and blew it off maybe I shouldn't have. Here in Cal-Ida there are those who think they are better then and know more then mother nature. Let me just say they have imported in and usually get the biggest surprize of their life when they think this way.
    I for the life of me can not figure out why if you move to a new state because of all the great things it has to offer you would want to change the very things that brought you there, and if you left a state because of it's politics and laws why try to get those same politics and laws in the new state.

Oh Well may be I am just old and confused and don't understand life anymore or I am just suffering from oldtimers ( what was my name again). I am sure this will happen no matter what I think but I will fight it if possible

I keep up with N.W. news by logging on to Oregonlive.com. When i lived in Alaska in the late sixties, there was a ten dollar bounty on harbor seals. Why, because they ate salmon, and by eating I mean, take one bite out of this one, leave it and take another bite of out that one, leave it, on and on and on. They are crafty critters. I remember the Sea Lion at the ballard locks in the late eighties. He would proudly do the same thing, a bit here a bite there...very ugly and down right discusting! He behaved like he was flaunting you. They snared him once, took him out to the straights and let him go. He was back a week later. Crafty critters.

+ Reply to Thread