O.K so as the saying goes "I dont know fish hooks". I am a biginning/novice tyer. I can typically take a recipe and with a lot of fits and starts come up with a version of what Im trying so make. My real question is ,how do I define what type of hook is being described when some one says somthing like " I like using a Mustad t38000-x when Im tying that fly".
Frankly if I dont have a clue what type fly it is that they're talking about than Im lost and feel too stuid to ask.
What defines leangth,curve ,thickness,etc,etc. Is there a publication or other written reference that I can use to get me going. I know that everybody out there did'nt just pick it all up off the cuff. Frankly I am not getting any younger and dont think that I have all that many years left to do the same(Im also not too particulary bright either
For redemption sake I am hardheaded enough to keep chugging when I get irritated(hardheaded chugging to be seen as agood quality ,the ladies on here won't understand ,guys, you understand. )
So any heads up will be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch

To Jerry: Thanks again for the offer .I will probably be getting back with you later in the spring to talk casting if you dont mind. William Jewell also sounds like a good option. I hate putting people out and feel like asking for things is an imposition on them . Thanks again . Try crabbing while you're there. It looked like fun when I saw it done. Later, Perch