+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning joints

Default Cleaning joints

I just recently purchased a fiberglass rod that is about 25 years old, roughly. It is a 9' two piece. The joint looks to be a metal, maybe brass (it was made in Scotland, brand name of Milbro, and is a little green with some oxidation maybe??). I cannot push the female end (top end) all the way down into the butt end very easily, and I don't want to force the issue for fear of not being able to get them apart again without damage.
    My long winded question is: what is the best way to clean that type of a joint, especially inside the female side? I have read Q-tips and alcohol for newer graphite rods. But, new graphite rods don't have an oxidation problem.

Thanks,
    Alan

Default Cleaning a brass ferrule

Start with alcohol and a Q-tip or odorless mineral spirits/Q-tip. But, it sounds like you have a plated brass ferrule with some corrosion. That green stuff is copper oxides and it has to go. This ferrule style allows access down into the rod blank. Don't drop the Q-tip or let solvent run down into the glue joints.

If the Q-tip/solvent doesn't do it, try a very MILD abrasive. I would use one of the following (in order of aggression) toothpaste, silver polish, brass polish, 0000 steel wool with oil, 1000 grit sand paper and oil. Gently remove the green goo. Stop often to clean out the ferrule and test fit it. DON'T OVERDO! A little tight is better than loose. If you really muddle it up, a new ferrule is cheap and easily installed.

Whether you should lubricate your ferrules is debatable. Personally, I keep mine clean and don't have sticking issues.

Tom

Tom nailed it! the big secret is test fit often...

on these types of ferrules, if over cleaned they certainly will require replacement.
    '
    Nice work Tom

Before I would use steel wool or 1000 grit sandpaper I'd use a high quality cream silver polish like Wenol or Maas.

It will take off the corrosion but only a micro-miniscule amount of metal like all polishes do. Polish is way less aggresive than steel wool or sandpapaer and the trick is to go slow with metal removal when working with ferrules.

Unfortunately you may find the ferrules will be loose after they are clean but don't despair; a rub with beeswax will usually tighten up brass ferrules to fishable condition.

Thanks all! I'll take my time with the cleaning (assuming I can find a little time here soon!). I'll let you know how it goes.
    Alan

+ Reply to Thread