+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to throw at carp??

Default what to throw at carp??

i was fishing today at my favorite lake in maryland...and noticed thrashing along the banks and noticed carp...in pairs mostly cruising the banks...what is a good fly to throw at carp....i was fishing a popper for bass but they kept on going...im sure this subject has been covered...is it possible the fish were spawning or do you think they were feeding along the banks..on the grass lines...saw lots of splashing and tails in shallow water...is there a fly that will get their attention when site fishing....thanks

Sounds like those fish were spawning, and when they're doing that the only thing on their mind is the birds and the bees. I have caught one spawning carp ever, and I think it was more a case of my fly being right in the path of his open mouth- a total fluke. Come back in a couple weeks and watch the fish. Pay attention to where they're feeding, what they're feeding on, and go from there. Carp can be very, very picky, so you have to let them tell you what they want. Be observant, and be smart. If you're interested, there are a number of carp threads in the archives of Warmwater Forum. I suggest you read some of them.

Rocks.

Yea yea, people tell me they are fun, but come on....they are carp.

Easy Adgrant. Those are fighting words.

Chuck

Adgrant,

You said that on the wrong board! There are a lot of carp fans here.

ummm...well...

I laughed.

Yeah I laughed too. I'd much rather catch a Carp than one of those ugly and stoopid brown trout or smallmouth bass.

I'm not really a carp lover, but there they were. Nothing else was hungry, and they were sipping away at micro midges. Roughy a dozen of them in the 3-4 foot range(why are these things so darn big?). I had tied on a #10 marabou muddler figuring that if the bass, trout, gills, crappie, saugeye, and whatever else was in the lake didn't have a taste for small, they might like a larger fish dinner. Hmmmm, SMB about 6" came outta nowhere, BAM!!!!!!!!!! the fight was on. Released him, and went back at it. Saw the carp move on it, dropped the rod tip letting float to him, POW!!!!!!!!!! the fight was on. He turned right, tighted the line. I'm thinking "what the HECK am I thinking. I only have 4x 6lb tippet tied to a 5x leader!" I lifted the rod, set the hook, BIG Mistake. Two head shakes had dinner was spit out. Now this all took place in about three seconds. Better stop rambling here.

The marabou minnow, everytime I threw it in, the carp moved on it. Found a new carp fly.

------------------
    If flyfishing were a sin, I'de be the devil's right hand man.

I never have caught one on a fly rod but once while holed up in a motel during a downpour with my fishing buddy; we watched one of the fishing programs on TV. I can't remember which show it was but these guys were fishing in the Upper Peninsula of Lake Michigan in an area they called the ?Flats?, (I think), it was a very wild looking spot. Anyway these guys were sight fishing for carp with fly rods and my buddy and I were sitting there with our jaws on the floor, it was incredible! These carp would take the fly and head off to Detroit, awesome!

Here in PA there are some guides that offer trips for carp on the Susquehanna where I have seen carp ?scary big?. I have to try that sometime.

Carp are great fun on a fly rod, but then what isn't. My two best carp flies are the brassie and (of course) the wooly bugger.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

+ Reply to Thread