+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLORIDA: Great fishing, great air fares right now

Default FLORIDA: Great fishing, great air fares right now

Hello, everyone. I thought I'd mention that AirTran, and Southwest, have some really low fares into the Sarasota area this winter. Some flights from Indianapolis or Chicago, for instance, are $135 round trip!

And we're being swarmed by Little Tunny just off the beaches of Venice and Nokomis. These fish are 8-12 pounds and take you into the backing in a heartbeat!

We also have a BUNCH of Spanish mackerel, and a couple of days ago I was fishing before meeting my charter clients and hooked a 30-pound King mackerel. Briefly!

You can follow all the action by pulling up the fishing report on my web site www.tightloopsflyfishing.com

Be sure to check out the article I wrote that's coming out in Fly Fisherman magazine next month. It's all about night snook fishing down here.

BTW, Dave--is there going to be another fish-in this year? If so, gimme a headsup on the dates so I can get the back porch cleaned up!

Tight Loops,

There should be a Fish-In for 2007, but doubt I can actually host it as free time is less than last year doing the Driving Ms Daisy sequel. You & Kevin ought to set something up for March or April & with your new flats skiffs being delivered everyone will be anticipating a snook alley fish-o-rama

Default OOPS

Ya mean there was supposed to be a work party

Ya know ya just can't expect a pirate to do real work unless ya worn them 1st,like hit on the head.

Great time Tony

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Default Florida fish-in 2007 sound like a go-go-go

OK boys and girls--I'm gonna go ahead and commit Kate and me and Casey Key Anglers & Outfitters as hosts of a fish-in down here this winter/spring.

Easter break usually isn't good, because all the guides are booked already. But give me some thoughts on when you might like to break loose and BREAK LOOSE!!! and we'll make it happen.

Oh, yeah. Tarpon season usually isn't a good idea for a fish-in, either. But if you have your heart set on hooking poons let's chat and see if we can work out some dates.

I have a special arrangement with the Venice Holiday Inn that gives my clients a hugely reduced rate. So if you plan to come down--even if you're not booking a guided trip--I'll be glad to help you save a bunch of $$$$. Just let me know.

Tight Loops,

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Default Re: Florida fish-in 2007 sound like a go-go-go

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tony
    OK boys and girls--I'm gonna go ahead and commit Kate and me and Casey Key Anglers & Outfitters as hosts of a fish-in down here this winter/spring.
    Wooo Hooo!! TonyP, Casey Key/KevinC ... Wow. We should set a date A.S.A.P. so the Northerners can make plans. I know a lot of people could use a date so they can submit their vacation requests before Dec. 31st. (I'm pretty much open to anything ... I'm fairly high on the seniority list. )

We (saltydancindave) had a heck of a time last year finding places to stay etc, due to previous hurricanes but he did find us some VERY good restaurants. Yummm, fish cakes and key lime pie ... what else do you need?

I'm there! Is there anything I can do to help from this end (N. Tampa/Land O' Lakes)!?
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Default FAOL Florida Fish-In Planning Stage

I checked the tides, and the last two weeks of February look fantastic. Extremely good evening tides for snook under the lights, and the daytime fishing should also be excellent.

I have a special rate at the Venice Holiday Inn. It's a very nice place, convenient to boat ramps, restaurants, etc. $98 per night (regularly $150). You also can pitch a tent or camper at Oscar Sherer State Park but I'd get on that one real quick or they'll get booked.

Depending upon how y'all want to do this, we could start with an orienteering session (Kevin and I will provide charts of the entire area for those who wish to wade or 'yak) and/or instruction in how to cast and fish in salt water.

If several of you book rooms at HI. they'll also give us the use of a meeting room. When I bring groups down from Chicago, etc., I provide vises and materials for tying, plus a cooler you can fill with soda or beer from the food and liquor store across the street. The HI also brings in a TV/VCR to play tapes. It's a nice way to covey-up without one person's room getting trashed.

As we did last year, my back yard is available for a BBQ or two.

Check AirTran for flights into Sarasota. Today I got a notification from them (I fly AirTran a lot so I'm on their e-list) with sale fares for this winter. Round trip from Pittsburgh or Rochester is $178, LaGuardia is $198. Indy is like $135!

Let me know what y'all think. If there's enough interest we can move along.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

+ Reply to Thread