+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biots

Default Biots

I was recently give some biots both turkey and goose. i recieved 3 loose strands of turkey biots and then two actual turkey quills with the biots attacthed and then the longer fibers on the other side. then i also got two goos biot quills. these just look like regular feathers to me tho...the dont have those "spikes" like the turkey biots.

is all my info correct here?

What are some uses for this stuff?

Default Re: Biots

I was recently give some biots both turkey and goose. i recieved 3 loose strands of turkey biots and then two actual turkey quills with the biots attacthed and then the longer fibers on the other side. then i also got two goos biot quills. these just look like regular feathers to me tho...the dont have those "spikes" like the turkey biots.

is all my info correct here?

What are some uses for this stuff?
    David, Yes those are labeled correctly Go to the fly tying areas on this site and search for Biot flys By the way, I found some moose mane and will send it next week
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Default Biot & Quill uses

Hi dsaavedra,
    there are numerous uses for both items. The crackleback dry fly (Bob Story from Feathercraft is the originator) is tied using the turkey or goose biots and AK Best video has numerous patterns using the quill body for dry flies. The results are beautiful flies that are more durable than dubbed bodies and give the fly the appearance of a segmented body as are the naturals. I usually give the quill body flies a coat of Sally Hansen before using them as a means of strengthening them. The biots can also take a coat of Sally H. depending which side of the biot is used. I think it takes a bit of practice to work with these materials as the quills require presoaking and the biots can be fragile if the thread tears the biot during the tying process. The AK Best videos demonstrate tying with both materials. If you are a learner, I really like the video's because they can be stopped and replayed as needed. With an instructor, it is a one time deal and then you are relying on memory. The biots can also be used for tailing on nymph patterns such as the Prince nymphs or other stone fly patterns.

Normand Guest

ok thanks. what i dont understand is taht the gooose biots look nothing like what i see in the pictures online....they arent the stiff barbules like i see, they are more like....pheseant tail barbs. i dont get it.

hello dsaavedra, can you show us a picture of what you have ?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

yes ill take a pic, i dont kno how good it will turn out tho cuz my camera sucks.

here are the pictures. that dark spot inbetween them both is just a shadow ignore it Goose is on the left, turkey on the right:

huh..that weird. they wont accept pictures now...o well here the link:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/ ... als001.jpg

The pic is fine dsaavedra. The biots...now don't take this the wrong way...are like individual pieces of what you have in the pic and if you pull them away from each other you'll see each one can be separated from the other. Those are the biots. Those are then used in any number of ways in fly tying, the least of which isn't bodies for mayflys and nymphs and you tie them in at the bend then wind them forward in various ways to simulate bug bodies. Hoping this helps some.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread