+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Fiberglass?

Default Painting Fiberglass?

I posted this question on the Rod Building board, but only got one response. So, I'm trying it here. I sure would like some help on this one.

If your were to paint a fiberglass rod, how would you go about doing it? What kind of paint? Would you use a top coat of varnish or varathane or some such?
    Is Krylon a paint that would work? I know, too many questions. Answer any or all if you like. Thanks in advance.
    Blessings,
    Lotech
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

ThinkI just heard about a spray paint for plastic. Rustoleum,I think.

Rustoleum is a paint designed for use on metals subject to corrosion. It contains a fish oil and dries quite slowly. While I have never painted a fiberglass rod I would suggest you try any method as an experiment on an area BETWEEN any guide wraps so you could remove it if necessary. I'd also test the use of lacquer thinner as a remover. It would also be anadvantage to spray it on using an airbrush as ised by artits and model railroaders. Model RR paints also come in various degrees of gloss and are made to go on in very thin spray coats. Don't use a brush or a coarse aerosol spraycan.

Ray,,, agree on the rustoleum,,, but I thought I heard of a new one by sombody,,, maybe someone else, but it is special,,, just for plastics, maybe krylon

You should really use Google. I found this in 10 seconds.

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/krylon/ ... t-c11.html

DUH!

Blog Entries

Joe I use Krylon all the time for my Radio controlled model boats. I fiberglass the cedar strip boats then when the fiberglass is fully cured I spray with krylon . The main problem I find is that you can only get spray cans of the Krylon. (I like to brush designs on my boat hulls and its not so easy with a spray can )

Note , fully cured, as in - I leave off painting for at least a month. You probably don't have to leave it that long, but I ruined a hull when I painted in less than 24 hours.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Joe,

It's not hard.

Done it lots of time with long lasting and beautiful results.

Use decent quality spray paint if you just want to color an area or whole blank. An airbrush can give you some amazing results if you are good with one.

Use light multiple coats until you get the depth of color you want. Avoid runs/sags.

Cover with a nice clear coat that won't react with your spray if you want to get the best and longest lasting results. I prefer urethanes for this, but test for compatibility first.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Back when Dale Clemens had a rodbuilding catalog, they used to sell pigments that you could mix in with their Crystal Coat epoxy. You would then give the blank a thin coat of this epoxy. The resulting finish then has the color you want and the durability of epoxy. I used these a few times and had good results, as long as I was putting a dark color over a lighter colored blank. I'm not sure if any products like this are available currently, but you might look around.

+ Reply to Thread