+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cherokee, North Carolina

1. Default Cherokee, North Carolina

I'll be heading to Cherokee in a couple of weeks and will have one afternoon to fish. I will probably limited to the Oconaluftee and I do not have waders.

What fly patterns should I take?
    How heavy should my sinking flies be for fishing the deeper pools? I'm afraid that mine wont sink fast enough and I dislike split shot.

Thanks for any help!

Warmouth

I fished the area last week although I didn't fish the Oconaluftee. The Light Cahills were hatching, lots of Yellow Sally's and Lime Sally's. I caught numerous fish on size 14 Cahill parachutes, Yellow Stimulators, BHFB Pheasant Tails in 14 and 16. My top nymph was probably a size 14 soft hackle pheasant tail. A BH black woolybugger also produced well when things slowed down. In turning over rocks I found numerous March Brown and Greyfox nymphs but didn't see any hatching yet, they should be anytime. The Sulphurs may be coming off by this weekend also. Good luck.
    Buna

I fished the area last week too. (with Buna and others) We didn't hit the Oc, but I did get a chance to fish two of its tributaries, Straight fork and Bradley fork. We had a good evening on Straight fork, where yellow and orange stimulators produced well. There was a small light cahill hatch going on, but I didn't bother to switch up flies, since the stimulator was catching fish.

I didn't have much luck at Bradley fork, only one small brown in an afternoon of fishing; some local types informed me that the river had not really turned on yet, but should be getting better and better in the coming weeks.

if you are in Cherokee, take the trip to Bryson City and hit Nolan Creek.... or Forney Creek (if you feel like a hike)...
    I do not think you will be upset!

browntrout

5. Default

Thank you very much for the replies!
    This will be second time going, but last year I went fishless. Pitiful, yes, but I think I know what I'm doing a little better this year.
    A few more flies to tie and I'll be set.

I'll give a fishing report in a few weeks if I have success.

Warmouth

Fished the Upper Oconaluftee last fall with my wife and guide Willy Cope. It ROCKED!!! We had a blast! I love that river and love that area. I live in Michigan, so haven't been back since. I would love to get back there sometime. Have a good time! I'm jealous! I also concur with the review from around Bryson City. Nice area.

+ Reply to Thread