+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Castwell's Article

Default Castwell's Article

Bravo, Bravo Bravo!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane:

Okay so why not? I count more women jogging by while I am fishing then I meet on the water. There are some excellent women role models like Joan Wulff. Flyfishing for trout is clearly an esthetically pleasing sport and does not require great physical strength, extra height, or large beefy hands. There are even active groups for women bass anglers, an obviously much lower form of life (that's a joke).
    So why do we see so very very few women on the streams without either significant others or children? In the last decade I can count the number I've met on one hand.

David

Why not? Same reason we don't see more men scrapbooking, staying home with the babies, taking up sewing.... socialization. That's a simple answer for a complicated idea but I'll leave it at that.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane & JC
    I'm single, but I do equate "Fly Tying" to Scrapbooking and Needle Point. Not to sure about staying home with the kids!!
    My respect for the abilities of women came about in the late 60's. I was employed as a QC anaylist for a large automotive manufacturing company. One of my jobs was to maintain a large chart of weekly "Test Stand Rejects" We had 4 women working in a plant of 4000. In September of 1968 200 women were hired for the Assembly Room! At the end of October the reject rate had dropped from 15% to 5%! My boss accused me of not keeping the chart right but when reminded of the hire date of all those "Women" he relented and advised the manager to hire more!!
    3 or 4 years ago I gave an 8'6" 7 weight to a good friend and the sister of Kathy Scott. I got to see her catch her first trout and now she wants a 3 wt!!
    Check my posts on the "Eagle Village Fly Fishing Program". This is an "all girl" class.
    I am old enough to remember "Rosie the Riveter" who helped win the 2nd world war!!

------------------
    Cactus

+ Reply to Thread