+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Fiberglass

Default Painting Fiberglass

If your were to paint a fiberglass rod, how would you go about doing it? What kind of paint? Would you use a top coat of varnish or varathane or some such?
    Is Krylon a paint that would work? I know, too many questions. Answer any or all if you like. Thanks in advance.
    Blessings,
    Lotech
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

that is a good question. I'm thinking of combining two rods for a friend that don't match exactly. I had a friend who painted his car with krylon spray paint once. He was really proud till about three weeks later when it rained and there was a blue outline of his car on the asphalt. Abetter quality paint is probably called for.

Mike

Check with an auto body paint supply shop. You can get touch up paint in spray cans. A lot of auto bodies and accessories are made from fiberglass. Krylon also makes a spray paint formulated for plastic. Sand the blank with 1500 wet/dry paper to give it some 'tooth' for the paint to stick. Use several light coats instead of one heavy coat.

Note: don't paint the male part of the ferrule. The paint thickness will change the fit and might cause sticking.

Check with an auto body paint supply shop. You can get touch up paint in spray cans. A lot of auto bodies and accessories are made from fiberglass. Krylon also makes a spray paint formulated for plastic. Sand the blank with 1500 wet/dry paper to give it some 'tooth' for the paint to stick. Use several light coats instead of one heavy coat.

Note: don't paint the male part of the ferrule. The paint thickness will change the fit and might cause sticking.
    Thanks kengore, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of touch up paint. I suppose a topcoat of a good hard car wax is called for too. Certainly couldn't hurt.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I always use the Automotive grade paint just as Kengore says and I dip in a mixture of varnish as well..gives it a bit more resiliency. Most Automotive paint supply stores can now mix any color that you want and put it in a spray can too, but that can be a bit pricey. Be overly cautious about getting the paint too thick, do as Kengore says and apply light covering coats until you get the desired depth of color.

I'm wondering if model car spray paint would work. I think I have a can from when my nephew visited. I'll give it a try. So I guess the main things I should check are scratch resistance and how it reacts with Flex Cote. Mike

+ Reply to Thread