+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions please -- 9 wt or 10 wt

Default Your opinions please -- 9 wt or 10 wt

I usually fish Narragansett Bay RI once a year. Most of my other fishing is trout and bass in MI and PA. The guide I fished with the last couple of times uses a 9wt. It seems that wind is pretty much a given for most of the year (from having lived there back in the 70s). My question is will a 10 wt help me with the wind issue or will it be too much and I will be better off with a 9wt. As always I do appreciate your input. Thanks Dave

The pro uses a 9 wgt?

Generally, I like a 10wt when surf casting, a 9wt when fishing from a boat or in less windy conditions.
    If I only had one SW rod, I'd use a 9wt and overline it with a 10wt line when fishing in the surf.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default 9 or 10 wt.

I asked a pro about what wt. he prefers and he said a 9' 9 wt. would be the best all round rod for fishing that included striper and salmon.

I have no experience on the flats with fly rod but last years (I plan on building a 9 wt. this winter) I talked to some guys and about 90% fished 9 wts. with much success.

I fish the RI salt almost every day. My two striper rods are a 6 wt rod with a floating line whose head weighs in at a ten weight and a 8wt rod with a line whose floating head weighs in at a twelve weight. I have a 10 wt rod that is rarely used for a backup.

I would go with the Dud's recomendation of the 9 wt with at least one weight heavier line on it. The nine weight could also be used as a heavy freshwater rod whereas the ten would be really over kill.
    Your hooks sharp????

Well Dave,
    Let's muddy the pot a wee bit more!
    Being on the west coast, we may not be of much help. But we DO got wind.
    We generally toss bugs 4" and bigger and generally bushy for stripers AND LM's. We used to think a 10wt was too big till we "won" one. Now it is our go to rod for general stripes and LM pestering.
    Actually there are SEVERAL rods in the quiver, in multiples in some cases, (no wonder our bride ran us off a couple months ago! ) between the 10wt and the 5wt that are our go to rods in very much MOST situations. They have all been relegated to back-up status now......unless we desire rods with differing density lines to be readily available to us for the day.
    .....lee s.

What Micro said. I grew up looking off my deck at Narragansett Bay so I know of what I speak. So does Micro of Rhode Island Ram fame. Kid knows a thing or two about bugs.

BTW. You are doing yourself a disservice by fishing it only once a year. Make the time and fish it more often.

e

e
    I know but the trip from Michigan is a bit long (wife doesn't fly). What really "burns me up" is that when we lived there I overlooked the Narrow River. Tossed a couple of plugs for Blues and trips on the head-boats for cod, but never picked up a fly rod!!!

Thanks all for the input.
    Dave

Dave:

What street did you live on? I grew up looking at the Narrow.

e

10. Default

I fish Rhode Island's inlets and beaches jsut about every weekend from April to November.
    After several "learning curve" lines I've grown to love an 11 wt AST floater on my rod that suggests an 8/9 line. Wind is no problem, the line is easy to mend and does everything well.

+ Reply to Thread