+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a bit of help/advice making a wood reel seat...

Default I need a bit of help/advice making a wood reel seat...

Well I am thinking of making my own reel seat. Is this a burl? Is there a way to dry the wood quickly? What do you use for finish on the wood? Should I cut the wood a particular way to show the grains?

Thanks for the help
    Mike

Do a search for drying wood in the microwave. Otherwise it will take about a year per 1 inch of thickness to dry. I think there is an article right now on rodbuildingforum.com . Post some pictures when you get it cut open.

Mike

on wood of this density and grain pattern if you try to dry it too fast you will not be happy with the results. I would look for a lumberyard in the area that has a drying kiln and get them to put it in the kiln with a run of their lumber. Using a kiln to dry wood will keep the moisture content of the wood equalized and will help to keep it from splitting and warping when you try to work it.

Default burl

I believe that burl is best dried slowly. The "grain" is so squirrley that it is just ready to check and split everywhere. On every cut surface I melt in a good heavy coat of paraffin wax using a propane torch. Then the blocks stay inside the house for a year or two depending on thickness. Then I will rip them up into square blanks and let them sit another six months or so.
    AgMD

AgMD and dleo, This is what I always believed but folks are claiming very good results with the micro method. Have not tried it yet myself so this is all second hand. Going to try a piece soon.

Mike

Thanks Mike, if you try it, let me know how it works out, that would be really interesting. Who knows may be a new method!!

here is one link I found doing some research on it, looks interesting
    http://mgorrow.tripod.com/microwave.html

Leo

here is the first reel seat I turned from that burl. There are many more pieces with more character that I am drying more slowly. I dried this one in the microwave. There a 3 more in the oven now.

the other picture is while we were just starting to saw the burl.

MIke

Mike, Looking good! I think it was worth all your effort especially if there is some more highly figured stuff in there. Mike

Mike, that is certainly a beautiful piece of wood and workmanship, very very nice. Did you Microwave it?

Leo

I microwaved the 1.5 x 1.5 x 4.5 pieces for 20-30 second with time to cool in between. I thought they might not work because they were starting to crack in the ends but it only went in about 1/4". I was also weighing them every cooking time.

I have read about slow drying pieces in paper bags, one place said to fill the bag with saw dust then mix in the pieces. Now I just have about 30 pieces loosely stacked in a paper grocery bag. I wonder if the sawdust acts as a wick for the moisture??

Thanks for the kind words, I'll post more pics as I turn them.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread