I?d like your opinion/comments on ?confidence and why it?s productive? when fly fishing. This really is a two part question, but I?m going to skip the first part (Does confidence work when fly fishing, yes or no?) and for the sack of time, and the fact that I?m only interested in the title question, assume everyone is in agreement, that confidence does work and it is productive when fly fishing, as in most any venture.

I have proved, or I think I have proved, this over and over again. If I?m in the river, a river I am familiar with, I have my favorite fly rod, rigged with line, leader, and tippet, which I have used a hundred times, my favorite fly, etc., etc., etc. I believe I have more hits and catch more fish than someone of equal experience that is fishing with equipment that they are familiar with BUT they have little or no confidence in their ability. Hope I am stating this so it's making sense. In other words: If all things being equal, "confidence" will produce strikes and fish, where no confidence will produce less strikes and fish. I believe this to be true, and if you agree please tell me ?why do you think it?s true??

And here is something else I have always wondered about, and believe me folks I?m not psychic, but have any of you had this experience; You're fishing in your favorite spot, a spot you have fished hundreds of times before, and your not getting hits like you want, but you?re getting one every now and then and you?re bringing in a trout every now and then. Again, not the amount you would like, a very slow day at best. But then you make this one cast (with the same equipment you have been using all day) and this cast has a certain feel and ?YOU KNOW? you?re going to get a hit before your retrieve is finished, and more times than not, you get that strike. I?ll take a SWAG at the percentage and say between 70 and 80 percent of the time I get that strike, when I get that feeling. Do I need a sit down with Freud, or does this happen to anyone else?

Bob