+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lake George Area in July

Default Lake George Area in July

I will be vacationing with my wife and kids in Lake George in July and was hoping to get some recommendations of where I could head for a good day of trout fishing. I see that the West Branch of the Ausable is about 80 miles away and the Battenkill is about 50 miles away. I would be willing to travel to either if it would be worth my while, I would also be interested in any other rivers in the area.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

Try the Schroon(pronounced Skroon) River off of I87 below Chesterfield, and above Schroon Lake, where it is small. I've fished it while vacationing at Lake George in August. Fishing was slow, and predictably best early AM and in the evening. Get Eric Newman's "Flyfishers Guide to New York", ISBN 1-885106-92-0 for maps and hatch dates. It has a good writeup on the river and it's small tributarys and a nice map of the area showing access points. Tight lines!

For regional up-to date fishing report , check out the NYS DEC region 5 report at :
    << [url=http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/hotline.html:002b6]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/hotline.html[/url:002b6] >>
    It includes the Indian ,Chateaugay, St Regis, and Trout Rivers, as well as many lake reports, such as Lake Chaplain, Lake George , and Saratoga Lakes. Also, you will be close to the Sacandoga Resevoir and its feeder streams.

Good Luck !
    Dadflyer

+ Reply to Thread