+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon boats.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pontoon boats.

I was talking the flyshop guy about this thread and about the crazy things people put on their tubes.
    He told me a story about a customer of his that put a 55lb thrust min kota mounted behind him on a belly boat. ( don't ask me how ) Starting out for the first time He forgot to tighten the up/down depth control knob on the propeller shaft tight enough. So when it started the motor dropped down about a foot as of course did the propeller. When he connected the battery terminal clip the motor came instantly on. He had left it set on #5 the highest setting in forward instead of in the off position. His plan Had been to troll on # 1 or #2 in reverse so the motor would pull him along backwards at a comfortable speed and steering assisted by his fins and by dragging an net on the proper side if needed. Instantly when the clip was attached. The motor dropped down all the way so that the propeller was down far deeper than it should be, and facing in the wrong direction plus being instantly at full throttle. The tube gave a jerk over stressing the battery strap so the battery which was behind him on a strapped on board slipped even farther back than it was supposed to be so his balance was even further off. .
    All of these things working together now combined to nearly torque the fellow over backwards out of controll. He now couldn't even turn it down or off because on its new lower position he couldn't reach the handle. After a short frightening ride he was able to yank one of the battery clips off. He was unhurt by the wild ride Which witnesses said was a short one with the tube trying to porpoise up and down. The battery finally did fall off but was recovered.

No one was hurt and Sadly this fellow is still in the gene pool.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

You ain't seen nothing till you see a couple of guys do what I am about to relate to you all. Picture this. Two guys at a boat ramp with Water Otter kickboats- these toon's were 6'ers from what it looked like (both identical mind you). They get rigged up, boats, rods, waders and boots on. They they pull out a couple of 5hp Merc -4 strokes out of the back of their truck. Filled 'em up with gas. They get in the boats, kick out a few yards and proceed to try to start the motors.
    Let me tell you that I have never been so entertained on a lake before like this. First guy gets up on his knees bassakwards on his seat and tries to pull the starter cord. I thought I was going to pee my pants next. He pulls the cord and damn near falls backwards out of the boat onto one side of his toon, and flips over into the water. Now the water is only about 3 feet deep where they were at so he wasn't in any real danger. The other guy kicks over to him (btw, neither were wearing fins,) and steadys the boat. He manages to get back into the seat. After a few minutes they kick themselves over to the shore where they can get out of the boat and start the motors standing on semi solid ground and still have the prop in the water. Finally the motors get started and they push out to open water. They both turn around and put the motors in gear. Now the motors are still only at an idle. The go into gear and if I'm lying, I'm dying, the front end of the kickboats raise up and the wake was enough for a wakeboarder to do flips on. These bozo's had to be doing 15 mph at an idle. Didn't take them long to get across the lake. I'd really like to see what would happen if they opened them up.
    Never did see them after that. Don't know if they drowned (I didn't hear or read of any weird drowning that year) or ended up selling the whole lot.
    So- sorry to hijack the thread, but I just thought of that after some posts here, it was approiate.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

That's priceless!
    I don't know know many times, over the years, that I've managed to thoroughly enjoy my simple self, for long periods of time, by just watching people at a public boat launch!
    Sadly, RS1, your two "Naval Commanders", although hilarious, don't even sound "all that strange" compared to SOME of the things I've witnessed at boat ramps. (as I'm sure, 99% of the crew, here, has as well!?)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default .)Re: Pontoon boats.

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder
    I'm only 57, Admiral, so count your blessings!! But, neither will I complain, because frankly................. I've NEVER been alive this long before!
    Paul
    I wish tubes and toons were around when I was in my twenties. Up here in Eastern Canada there was nothing available.(I understand that tubes were invented in the western states.) I used to fish from a truck tire inner tube with a canvas sling I had sewed to it. (A bare bones donut)

Don

"No one was hurt and Sadly this fellow is still in the gene pool. "

My laugh for the day

Hi Larry

It would be very helpful to us pontooners in making suggestions if you would tell us Where and How you plan on using a pontoon:

-Stillwater ponds and lakes and their size

-Flowing streams size, currents, rapids, etc.

The pontoons on the market are built for varied conditions. Your personal safety should be paramount in your pontoon selection.

Let us know?

Max
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Hi Larry

It would be very helpful to us pontooners in making suggestions if you would tell us Where and How you plan on using a pontoon:

-Stillwater ponds and lakes and their size

-Flowing streams size, currents, rapids, etc.

The pontoons on the market are built for varied conditions. Your personal safety should be paramount in your pontoon selection.

Let us know?

Max
    I use my Outcast Fish Cat 10 IR in all those conditions. It is an excellent pontoon. I can't believe how well it responds to finning and it rows about as fast as I can paddle my kayak. The only water I haven't been in is a river with pretty serios rapids and since I'm not near the ocean it hasn't seen the salt either

Max was really persistant with me on chat --- buy a high quality pontoon if I was even *thinking* of floating the sometimes nasty rivers in Colorado. Easy lakes are one thing, but rivers are another. Glad I saved my money up and bought a used Scadden instead of a Costco cheapy....thanks Max! Nuff said. Glad I waited a year. DRF

Quote Originally Posted by danbob
    Max was really persistant with me on chat --- buy a high quality pontoon if I was even *thinking* of floating the sometimes nasty rivers in Colorado. Easy lakes are one thing, but rivers are another. Glad I saved my money up and bought a used Scadden instead of a Costco cheapy....thanks Max! Nuff said. Glad I waited a year. DRF

Well, it would be too expensive to ship, but if you ever make it to Salt Lake, I have TWO Cardiac Canyons with modifications and they are 11 1/2' long and 5' wide with 12" diameter pontoons. Pontoons are urethane bladder with Halkey Valves and they have NEVER had a leak.
    One RED and one Yellow.
    Since my Mother passed away, I had to move in with my Father and there is no room for them.

10. Default Re: Pontoon boats.

hey hi.I have a guide pro 2 and i put a 4hp motor on it. I also have it on a trailer for easy on and off the river, it 12ft long and I steelhead fish with it.

+ Reply to Thread