+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner's Set?

Default Beginner's Set?

Here is what I want to do and what my applications are:

Alot of my fly fishing will be still water, since we have alot of ponds locally. Most of these ponds hold bream and largemouth. Most of the largemouth are 1 to 3 pound fish with an occassional large fish up to 9 pounds. Most are free of weeds.
    I will also be fishing the sand bars and rocks of White River for white bass and largemouth. Most are 1 to 3 pound fish an occasional large fish up to 12 pounds.
    I will be also fishing Little Red for trout.
    Most are small trout, but I am sure there are some large ones in there.... I just haven't caught any.
    Most of my flies will be sow bug, pheasant tail, Wooly Buggers, bream killers, and poppers.
    For the most part the waters I fish are murky at best. The Little Red and upper White are about the clearest waters I will fish. In the Red and the White I will be fishing the rapid shoals.

This will be my first fly rig. As with most combos I am sure the fly rod combos are set up for beginners. I don't want to spend too much on a combo. Wal-mart has the Scientific Anglers Combos that are around $58.00 or so that is a kit with rod, reel, line, and video. If I am not mistaken they are 5-6 weight, 8 foot rod, with med-fast action. The line is weight foward, floating, with the LCL(???) connectors. From what I have read I think this would be the best set for my situation and applications. Any input would be appreciated.

What length of leader, and what test leader should I get? What test tippet?

When I go to get the rod I want to buy pretty much everything else right on the spot.

Thanks,
    Ronnie Ladd

Run!!! stay away from Wally World. You'll hate it. Three words here...

Temple Fork Outfitters

In my opinion it's the best rod for the money.

If you go and buy a cheap kit, you'll kill your learning curve and you'll be wasting your money. You sound like you know a lot about fishing so do your self the justice and spend a few dollars for some good gear.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

SH

I have to agree with JC on this. Forget that the combos are sold at Walmart or Kmart or whatever. These stores are a fact of life and they offer consistantly low prices. The NAME BRAND combos offer pretty good castability for the money. The rods typically have a forgiving action for the beginning caster. The lines are usually forward-weight tapers instead of the old level lines that used to come with combo kits in the 60's and 70's. The NAME BRAND companies offer these kits to get people into fly fishing not to discourage them forever. They want repeat customers. It would be really stupid to turn people off with totally uncastable crap. The companies are counting on people moving up the equipment scale to their top of the line products. Most of the combos from NAME BRAND companies are very good packages for the money. You won't get a lot of fancy extras but you will get a very sevicable rod and reel. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Support your local flyshop first before going to Walfart. They will usually have a beginner set and as from reading your introduction you are already an avid sportsman who will be addicted instantly. You will be able to try the various rods and feel the difference between an ok rod, a good rod and an excellent rod. Then you can make an informed decision about how much you can afford. I wish I could go fishing now instead of going to work!

SwanpHunter:

Listen to JC, he knows what he's talking about. I started fly fishing 7 years ago with an SA kit that was reduced from $79.98 to $59.98 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Became proficient and thought I needed a St. Croix, then T&T, then Sage, then Orvis, then Gatti.....blah, blah, blah.

I taught a friend to FF and gave him the outfit.....along with flies, leaders, tippet and my original vest. Oh yeh, had to have the mesh-back shorty vest like all the big guys! If there were a way to gracefully get it back, I'd dump the rest of this expensive crap and continue having a ball landing bluegill, crappie, yellow perch, pickerel, largemouth, white bass and trout on that little SA 9' 6wt kit!!!!!!!!!

You catch the same fish on that $58.00 outfit that you do a $595.00 rod, $230.00 reel, $59.95 line, etc, etc.

You wanna look like the boys, or catch fish?

Go for it and have a blast, regards, Jim

Look at the Sponsors Page on FAOL, these are very reliable companies, they are invited Sponsors. Only companies that meet the "Standards of Business Conduct and Product Quality" are allowed to become Sponsors!

Been that way from the Beginning of FAOL, September 1st, 1997.

~ Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 18 May 2005).]

My 0.02$

Look at both, the big chains and the local shop.

Local shops are having a hard time in many regions. Let them know what you want to do and ask to see a combo or package they could suggest.

Good service from a local shop means they get a customer that'll come back for years over and over again.

I don't "threaten" the local shop owner with the "prices" I see at "Wally-World", but he knows they exist.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:e60e5]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:e60e5]
    Christopher Chin

SH,
    Listen to JC & the gang. The inexpensive matched outfits are a good way to go.I still consider myself "so-so" (or a little below) in expertise, but I started with an inexpensive St Croix outfit..loved it & the progression to more stuff started. Why not check with a local flyshop (if available to you) for the SA outfit they speak of, maybe pay a few bucks more, but it's worth it if it's a good shop...if you can't get it there, THEN get it at Walmart. Dicks, or wherever.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have to say that Mr Castwell knows more than I do times 10. For me the question is, how long do you plan to fly fish, and how serious will you be with it. If your an avid sportsman and plan on sticking with it for a long time, I guarntee that it won't be long before you go looking for better gear. My point was, if your going to end up with good gear, why not go ahead and get it to start with and save some money.

Now, on the other hand if your just wanting to give Fly Fishing a try and your not sure if your going to like it, then by all means go with an inexpensive kit. If that is your plan, you might think of at least checking out what a local fly shop had to offer. They might have something that compares in price with the WM kit, and you will have someone to give you great advice.

For me, living in the south, there aren't a lot of flyshops around, but we do have a Bass Pro Shop. They have a great fly shop and have some really good starter kits.

Whatever your plan, I'm sure you'll enjoy the sport/addiction. Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by jargo432 (edited 18 May 2005).]

Check out LL Bean. You can get a very good outfit at a reasonable price with an unconditional guarantee. How could you beat that?

+ Reply to Thread