+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad knees

We all have problems.

I'm only 40, but 30 years in cold water and 20 years ski patrolling have taken their toll.

You have to keep 'em warm. Neoprene (oversized) helps. I'll wear fleece pants inside my waders (300 weight).In sept and Oct here, I try not to deep wade, ... I'll walk on rocks, or use a canoe.

Pain killers (if you can, ask your doc for the best for you). Also, stay hydrated, eat well, take lots of breaks).

my 0.02$ anyway.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 14 February 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

you guys might consider me "just a lad" at 32, but many years of skiing and snowboarding abuse have taken their toll on the knees.

i use glucosimine for added lubrication, which helps make walking easier. also, keeping them warm, as stated earlier, is key.neoprene knee braces and shock absorber walking/trekking staffs are the only way i can walk downhill anymore. also, excercising the knees help. i build muscle to replce bone/ligament strength. developing stronger soft tissue relieves some of the pressure on the hard tissue joints.

personally, i try not to take pain medication unless it is absolutely necessary. the body builds a tolerance, and the more you use, the more you need.

thanks guys,, as soon as the snow stops iam making a trip to the local drug store will pick up Glucosamine Sulfate and check out the neopren knee braces,,,have a pair of heavy mill neoprene wadders....thanks again

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

My kid brother (45), a forest ranger in North Idaho swears by Gluclosimine. His hips and knees would not take hiking along the side of a hill. He also said it takes about 3 weeks to get working. He buys his on the internet at a greatly reduce price over the reatail stores.

------------------
    Cactus

Little enote on gluc.

If you read the labels properly and talk to a pharmacist, the bulk stuff can be of the exact same quality as the name brand stuff.

A few years ago I has giving it to a horse (a few cups per day), so the savings was considerable.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

local drug store had Glucosamine on sale 180 pills for 12.99,,,,,,started taking them today...nature s bounty,,neoprene knee braces hes checking on them thanks guys,,,

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Acupuncture.

Although I am only 29 I do suffer from pretty bad knees. I have had countless injuries to both knees along with my back and ankles while playing basketball in highschool. I can highly recomend the neoprene braces with the cutout. If it werent for these babies I would barely be able to walk somedays. Seems as each year passes by it only gets worse (and yes I realize I have a long ways to go lol). Makes me wanna slap most kids I see killing their bodies these days just for high school sports. Lord knows I had fun but I dont know that it was worth it!

------------------
    God bless,
    Michael

Same here I am 33 broken both knees, and had a couple of hairline fractures to my back, I am also one of those unlucky people that suffers from dry joint, nothing actually swells up it just hurts like hell. For those of you with bust knees, do you also find that your knee cap will dislocate spontaneously? Mind do, it means I cant hike very far and have to be very careful about just where and how far I go. One thing I always carry is a chemical hot pack (luckily I have a supply source). Many times this has helped stop a bad moment turning into a bad day. There are many little things like taking many short breaks, thinking about where I go in, sports tape is my best friend and a 7mm neoprene brace ( I got a local wetsuit manufacturer to make me one using a bought one as a pattern). Although water doesnt freeze here generally over winter it can get dangerously cold.

+ Reply to Thread