+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PEARL HARBOR DAY

Default PEARL HARBOR DAY

I wasn't there, but for as far back as I can remember, I've been hearing about Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 from my parents, grandparents, aunts uncles, friends and of course all sorts of media.

I hope that the current conflicts can end and deliver all involved into the kind of partnering that we have enjoy with Japan.

A Pearl Harbor survivor mentioned on TV this morning that once he and his brothers and sisters from that day are all gone he believes December 7, 1941 will be forgotten.

Lest we forget. But not for negative reasons, rather for the lessons learned. In war, no one prevails, there are no winners.

MontanaMoose

Our heartfelt thanks to all who served - and those who are still serving. Freedom is never free.

MontanaMoose,
    Until I read your post, I had completely forgotten that today is Pearl Harbor Day. And, I'm old enough to know better. 59. My whole life, I have held this day in reverence, and today I forgot. I'm a veteran to boot. I'm ashamed of myself. Thanks for the reminder.
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I remembered and said a prayer for those who still carry that pain. My dad joined the Marine Corp on December 8, 1941. He had to wait about four months to go to boot camp due to the high volume of volunteers. As a Marine Corps vet myself I am very proud and grateful for the sacrifices made by those who held, and hold, freedom dear.

Gary

No need for that Lotech Joe. I've let a few Dec. 7ths slip by me before too. Besides, you didn't let it go by at all.

Not many of them left Gary. Thanks for the new bit of knowledge too. I didn't know anyone that enlisted in the days after Pearl had to wait to go to bootcamp. That speaks volumes about the sentiments of those times.

MontanaMoose

Default Re: PEARL HARBOR DAY

[quote="MontanaMoose"]I wasn't there, but for as far back as I can remember, I've been hearing about Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 from my parents, grandparents, aunts uncles, friends and of course all sorts of media.

I remember well riding in the car that December afternoon when President Roosevelt came on the radio and announced the infamous attack. We rode home in silence and listened to the sad news all evening. I wasn't old enough to serve at that time, but I remember saving tinfoil,string,rubber bands, gas and sugar rationing for "the war effort". I have since served a stint in the Air Force. To all the veterans of WWII, thank you for your service and to all survivors of Pearl Harbor - GOD BLESS YOU!
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I was born in 1935, very young at the time of the war, but I do "Remember Pearl Harbor." We didn't have the freedoms the PC have given us these days, this 'Free Speech' thing must be new, back then it was "Loose lips sink ships." Just because something might be interesting, didn't necessarily make it news and just might endanger our 'boys' or our country. It would be 'un-patriotic.' We used different words back then, traitor, sabotage, espionage, spy, kill, destroy, annihilate, victory. But, I guess it was because we were at war, ya, maybe that was it.

Yeah, I guess war has always been good press. I can remember exactly where I was, what time it was and what I was doing when JFK was shot so I can understand how it must have felt when the news came over the radio that Pearl had been attacked.

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread