+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitutes for Seal Dubbing

Blog Entries

Default Substitutes for Seal Dubbing

I have been looking at Donald Nicolson's web pages. Seal is hard to find in the U.S., at least for me. What other materials are viable substitutes for seal dubbing? I have seen Angora dubbing touted as being a good replacement, but the touting was being done by folks selling the stuff. Is Angora the best replacement?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Get the real thing here http://feathersmc.com/home.php

it's legal, cheap and john is a prince to deal with

Regards,
    Mike

I hope you found something of interest.
    I use SLF as an alternative and sometimes for its own virtues. Not all the Seal fur over here is of good quality. I have a good collection of SLF and for a lot of the traditional sea trout and loch flies which use seal, I prefer the SLF, the colours are consistant and you can't always say that for seal.
    When for instance Claret from one supplier is compared with Claret from another, the difference can be quite startling. The Olives of the various shades are even more variable. One man's dark olive is another man's mid olive.
    As I usually buy via internet, it is a bit of a lucky dip and some of the fur can be too buggy. Some supplied is very coarse. I do still like to use seal's fur and there are some reliable suppliers. I believe Jamie Caddick in Canada (can't remember if he's in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia) is a reputable supplier. You'll have to look him up.
    Having said all that I can recommend SLF, but there may be other substitutes made in the USA that are just as good.
    I've probably revived an old feud between two Canadian provinces now
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Normand Guest

Sprit River Pseudo Seal

Poul Jorgensen Seal-Ex

Arizona Simi Seal Dubbing

Polyseal

Rug Yarn. This coarse yarn is sometimes marketed as Sparkle Yarn and is the material to use for yarn style crabs. To do this, tie the yarn across the hook like a spinner wing about five times and then comb it out and trim to the size and shape of a dime or nickel. It can be blended to make a seal dubbing substitute.

Seal-Lite

Angora Goat Dubbing

Donald, i would be in Nova Scotia although i wish i had the fishing that they do in Newfoundland.

I sell a ton of seal fur dubbing here but if i had to pick the best substitute for it i would go with the SLF Standard or SLF Poul Jorgensen. Between the two series there are over 70 colours to choose from.

There's seal listed in the Things For Sale forum ...

YIKES ducksterman,

If that is what you guys are used to paying for seals fur then i feel sorry for you guys.

In my shop it retails for $1.69 Cdn and even in the more expensive shops it still only sells for about $2.00 Cdn per 1 gram bag regardless of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Caddick
    YIKES ducksterman,

If that is what you guys are used to paying for seals fur then i feel sorry for you guys.

In my shop it retails for $1.69 Cdn and even in the more expensive shops it still only sells for about $2.00 Cdn per 1 gram bag regardless of colour.
    Thanks Jamie...you'll notice I made no judgement...I wondered and hoped for some feed back. ...I also wonder about the legality????

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Caddick
    YIKES ducksterman,

Thanks Jamie...you'll notice I made no judgement...I wondered and hoped for some feed back. ...I also wonder about the legality????
    Seals Fur is not legally able to be shipped to the USA, however i would bet my shops complete inventory that the amount of seals fur dubbing shipped monthly to the USA can be measured in pounds.

Seals fur up here is as common as thread and about the same price.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Seal sub

I have to agree with the SLF. I've used real seal and the SLF both. For the money, the SLF is much more consistant as to quality and colors. It's the same everytime you buy it, and it comes in great assortment packages at Cabelas.

Gig

+ Reply to Thread