+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage SLT

Default Sage SLT

Does anyone know how old the Sage SLT is? How often does sage update its lines? I like the SLT and I sure hope its not going to be discontinued anytime soon. Of course thats when all of the discounts happen.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thanks JC. I have always liked this rod, just about evertime I pick one up at the shop I give it a wiggle. It is a great rod, and I think I am finaly going to break down and pick one up.

Mike

I have one too and I really like it a lot.

4. Default

18 or so months ago, I decided I would spring for "the" rod. I read, read and read some more and decided that the Sage XP was very likely "the" rod. I ordered one through Feather Craft. I could not find one nearby to cast, so I took the gamble.

In the mean time, I stumbled into a a shop that happened to have a 9' 5wt SLT on the rack. I cast it and absolutely fell in love. I received my XP and was underwhelmed. I'm sure that I would have been happy had I not laid my hands on that SLT, but brother that thing was smooooooothhhhhhh.

Long story longer, I sold the XP a few months later at a lost as it was collecting dust. The SLT, on the other hand....marvelous. Nothing wrong with an XP but that SLT was clearly a smoother, friendlier and lighter rod. At least in my hands.

Wish I would have cast them both in the showroom to decide which to buy, but nevermind that. I'm a huge SLT fan. It's a wonderful, wonderful rod.

[This message has been edited by LigonierA1 (edited 12 May 2005).]

Add another vote for the SLT. It's expensive as crack, but the high lasts longer. I've had one for two years now (5w 9foot) and it is my "go-to" rod in almost all of my favorite rivers. I love it.

Ligonier,
    Don't give up on the XP. In my mind, it's one of the very best rods ever made. You may be like me and prefer the XP action in a heavier rod and the SLT action in a lighter rod. I love the slower action of my 4 wt. SLT but I wouldn't want one in a 6 wt. whereas I love the faster action of my 6 wt XP but wouldn't want one in a 4 wt.

Well I broke down and picked up the Sage SLT 5wt 4pc. I am really stoked about this rod. I cant wait to get it out and catch some fish. Thanks for all of the advice.

Mike

Proud owner of a 9' 4pc 4wt SLT. One of the finest rods in my arsenal. Casts like a dream. It is NOT a fast action rod. More med to mediun fast action. Just slow down your cast a little and let rod do the work for you. The perfect rod for the North East.
    I've never met a fish I didn't like

Can anyone recommend a great line for the SLT 9-foot 4-weight?

Thanks,

Fred

I have the SLT 490-4. I use a Sage line WF-4. No issues.

A spectacular and fun rod. Use it for everything from trout to smallies. It is particulary fun to cast small poppers for smallies. You feel every twist, turn and leap wiht these supple rods.

+ Reply to Thread