I read Carl Pudlo's article on nymph fishing and I was very disappointed. I am very interested in nymph fishing and thought the article would be interesting. Instead what I found was an article that was very short sighted.

In the article the author reflects on the subtleness of nymph takes and wonders how many fish have taken his nymph without him noticing it. He then goes on to chastise anglers who use strike indicators. Stating that "real men" don't use indicators. (Which is interesting isnce in the article he actually uses the fly line as a strike indicator)

I have seem many people do creative things with indicators....Rich Osthoff....has some realy neat techniques is his books where he uses them to hold a certain depth to suspend a nymph.

I am fairly new to fly fishing but I can see that each one of us takes something different away from the sport. Some prefer subsurface, some love to match the hatch....Everyone takes enjoyment from the sport different ways. Belittling how someone else enjoys things just reinforces a snobby/stuck-up reputation fly fisherman sometimes have. Articles like this don't belong here and honestly in terms of useful content the article was lacking there as well. Basically the article tells us that the author sometimes catches fish with a nymph. (maybe he catch more if he wasn't so set in his rigid definition of what "reel men" do.)