I think that the slot limt would enhance the fishery also; both in quality of fishing and health of the stocks. The smaller fish are healthier to eat as well (less acummulated pcbs,etc)- and most would argue taste better. I don't know if the traditional charter boats (and clients) would go for it, as they seem to regard large dead fish photos as a measure of success. I know the light tackle and fly charters would be more receptive. The seals around the Cape Cod National Seashore kept the fish out of the surf zone for much of the year, but charterboats jigging wire just offshore had pretty steady fishing. It has been suggested that the fish feel safer away from the beach. Getting a hooked fish by the seals was a losing proposition and the seals will follow anglers around waiting for an easy meal. Offshore, a major concern is the decimation of herring and other large forage by hi-tech pair trawlers with fine mesh nets that are as wide as a football field. This is doing a number on growth rates of all other fish depending upon large baitfish, ie. bass, cod, tuna. The bycatch discard of dead sport and groundfish is staggering- and we only see a fraction of what is wasted. I can't stress how important it is for all of us to keep the heat on elected officials and bureaucrats that make the decisions that effect our interests. If the slot limit was tweaked a bit, it might be more attreactive to the charter boat lobby- say one fish 20-26", and one over 45", and still might meet the goal of protecting some large fish genetic potential.This could be hammered out in the context of the Atlantic States Council- as they have various models for size and limit options, and they have to meet the goals set for sustainable harvest. The larger fish might lay the most eggs, but they may not be as viable as those from younger fish, which the experts would consider as well.