+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly of the Week

Default Fly of the Week

A very nice looking series of flies, but if I'm going to tie any, I'll have to give it a new name.
    Here in the UK, Yellow Sally is a well-known medium-sized stone fly (isoperla grammatica) with a yellow body and yellow-green wings. Its adult length is 8 to 13 mm. It has many patterns not the least in the North Country spiders books and a nymph pattern by Oliver Edwards. In John Robert's Trout Flies Dictionary, there are four recipes, Oliver Edwards nymph, two Spiders (1 by Pritt, 1 by John Roberts) and a southern English Dry Fly.
    Maybe American Yellow Sally Caddis?
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I had that same thought, Donald. Yellow Sallies are stoneflies here in Oregon as well. I've never seen a caddisfly referred to by that name, but anything goes with tying.

Bill

Gee, Yellow Sallys are stoneflies in Colorado also. But, may work for caddis also due to their smaller size.

I have this pattern that I have been using and I can see where the fly of the week could be an effective fly, special the picture on the 200 hook:

I'm thinking the line might blur a little between a big caddis pattern and a small stonefly, much the same way a stimulator can represent a stonefly or a hopper depending on the situation. Either way it's a good looking fly and should do real well in both situations- stone and caddis.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Thanks for all the extra info, folks -- I should have gone more in depth about other insects it's used for. Not a stonefly in sight on either the Colorado or Lochsa where we had such good luck with the yellow sally last year.

It's interesting to note that we also had good luck during large caddis activity using sofa pillows and yellow stimulators -- again, stonefly imitations!

DANBOB

+ Reply to Thread