+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Divided wings

Default Divided wings

I've often wondered what the case is for Mayfly dries being tied with divided wings. I think most flies I've seen on the water have their wings upright and touching. What is the story ?

I think it's balance.

I could be wrong.

Certainly doesn't seem to matter either way to the fish.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Ray,

If you've ever watched a mayfly hatch they start as a "blob" on the waters surface. Their wings gradually start to rise from the blob, then stand up divided while they dry, and when they come together (looking like a small sail) they are dry. The mayfly usually flies off at that time. I've always thought the mayfly was unable to fly while their wings were spread during the drying process and therefore a very susceptible hors d'oeuvre. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

AK Best has an excellent article in the current issue of Fly Tyer on mayfly wings.

I think the divided wing is a compromise for aerodynmics over natural appearance.

I have tied some patterns with both an undivided wind and with the traditional divided wing. The undivided wing had a greater tendancy to spin, while divided wing didn't.

Somehere in one of my books I remember seeing photos of real mayflies and imitations taken from the trouts point of view. There was significant optical distortion due to the refraction of light in the surface film. As I recall the image of the natural and the imitation with divided wings were surprisingly similar. The wing division was only appearent when the fly was viewed head on and only in a narrow field of view before the image was lost in the distortion.

Another attribute of spread fly wings on dry flies, is the parachute effect, as the fly lands on the water surface. The wings cause a slower descent, and the wings also assure that the fly lands upright.

Divided wings are usually ment to represent a spent mayfly. When the mayfly dies it will fall into the water and the wings lay spent (divided) on the surface of the water. That is why the wings are tied divided on the "spinner" mayfly patterns. Trout see these as "easy meals" they don't have to spend a lot of energy on. Hope this helps out a little.

+ Reply to Thread