+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: microfibbettes?

Blog Entries

Default microfibbettes?

what are Microfibbettsare they somthing I purchase at my local fly shop or is it a fancy name for tippit or can I buy it at home depot?

Thanks for any help

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

They're (nylon?) fibers that are finely tapered on one end and are used for tailing material. Some people have suggested using paint brush bristles for a similar effect.

That's right - very fine tapered hair like things that come in little clumps in different colours for mayfly tails. If I were to criticise, I would say that sometimes they are too fine, but yeah, check them out.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Default Re: microfibbettes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD
    what are Microfibbettsare they somthing I purchase at my local fly shop or is it a fancy name for tippit or can I buy it at home depot?

Thanks for any help

Eric
    Paint brushes can indeed be purchased at Home Depot

I ask though... if you folks think the brush fibers are as good as microfibbets because they aren't as tapered or delicate?

and then there is the synthetic vs animal hair thing?????

Duckster,

I'll buy and use the fly shop microfibbets for small flies, things in the 20 to 26 range.

For larger flies, I actually prefer the paint brush bristles. They are a bit thicker and look better porportined to me.

I have found, though, that the best fibers come from the 'good' art type paint brushes, which can be pricey. Even on 'sale', the ones I get from paint brushes cost far more than the fly shop version. The ones I get are 'tapered', which probably explains the cost. Probably doesn't matter, but I just like the way they look on the fly.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Microfibbets are a commercial produced product to do the same function as "Chinese Boar Bristles", which are tapered just as Microfibbets are.

I prefer using "Chinese Boar Bristles" because they are more flexible, where Microfibbets are stiff.

When using "Chinese Boar Bristles" I can curve them by running them between my pressed fingers, which make them realistic antenna on my dry fly patterns.

Besides they cost a lot less, and you can buy a lifetime supply at Home Depot. These are the oil paint brushes, they come is white (bleached), natural brown, and black (dyed). You can also find them at Art Supply stores, but the brushes will cost more for less bristles. Still will cost less then Microfibbets, which I consider a big "RIPOFF"!

Yea, Fibbettes may be expensive compared to paint brushes but in comparison to other tying materials versus how many you use and how many come in a pack; the electricity your desk lamp consumes while tying one fly costs more. Paint brush bristles work fine until you want light or dark dun, ginger, yellow or any of the other colors Fibbettes come in.

I'm positive the fish could care less if my Sulphur Duns have the requisite yellow tails like the naturals so having perfectly accurate tailing material doesn't make sense...

...but when did the choices in fishing have to make sense to the fish?

The make-up brushes women use have nice bristles.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the Reply, went to the local fly shop, he was out of Microfibets, guess Ill have to check out the local dollar store for a paint brush, untill I need enough items to mail order.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

10. Default

You can just about dye paintbrush bristles by sticking them in paint for a 'while.' It's not an exact science, and it's a bit messy, but you can get a bit of color into what are otherwise dye resistant nylon white/clear or black/brown bristles.

If you buy a Coq de Leon cape in a light or medium pardo you can use the feathers as is, or dye a few at a time using small amounts of dye. You get a pretty good yellow using turmeric from a whole food store. I get most of the colors I need using turmeric; and a few artificial dyes: olive, brown, fiery brown, and black. A bit of experimentation dying and over-dying is good fun and with a bit of effort you get just what you need. There are more than enough feathers on a saddle to give you a whole range of colors. Importantly, the tails you get using Coq de Leon look beautiful and natural, and they're nice an easy to use.

This approach isn't a commercial solution. If you've an idea to tie loads of flies all the same and at the same time, scratch the above ideas - completely. You'll be needing the A.K. Best approach to the situation.......

+ Reply to Thread