Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
AFTER UPS and Fed Ex showed up................

And don't get me started on MEDICARE!

Your unit may do what it is supposed to but other branches of government are extremely wasteful and very disorganized and very uncaring that they do a horrible job.

And as for the "keep us safe" comment. I appreciate that more than you know but have no idea what that has to do with this thread on wasteful companies.

You sure seem a bit testy over shipping comments. You miss yer medicine or something?

BBW, not to start a flame, but I think that you are wrong, technically and historically, about the efficiency of military shipping. It is the U.S. military which has done a great deal of research into efficient and safe shipping. I have a forestry text that dates from the 1950's, I think, and that goes into some length about how much space has been saved and cargo loss avoided due to some of their research. The forestry professors who wrote the text(s) don't seem to have any particular bias, pro or con, with the military. They were just reporting on how forest products were being made and used. This was started around the time of WW1 to improve efficiency of each shipment being sent to Europe. I believe that predates Fed-Ex and UPS.

Medicare doesn't strike me as being relevant to the military's degree of proficiency at moving material. They represent 2 different groups doing 2 different things.

Another point about Cabela's shipping and box size is that they generally pack an invoice, new order form, and catalog or sales brochure in with each order. At least that is my experience. Those things take up space, especially if they are provided with enough room to avoid being folded to tightly. (Remeber that their order form includes the evelope and will not pass through USPS mail handling equipment as well if it is damaged. I suspect that might be the real reason for box size. Shipping effectively and efficiently is a subject for Industrial Engineers. They do the most gosh-awful, Chinese math that I have ever seen to figure out this sort of thing.

My "out of the box" view, if you will pardon the pun, is simple. If this is the biggest gripe that we seem to have with Cabela's, then they are doing a fine job. Again, I am not typing this in anger or trying to offend, but I do disagree with you and I wanted to make a few points.

I wish well for you and all of the rest of us.
thx,
Ed