+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9 wt too big for Bass ?

Default 9 wt too big for Bass ?

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to possibly do some inland lake striper fishing. I need a heavier rod and will likely borrow a 9 wt for the first time or two from a buddy.

I want to purchase a heavier rod. I currently have 4wt through 7 wt rods. I was thinking an 8wt but I would also like one that will double as a salt water rod for along the TX coast. One of the 7's I have is a fast one, the other two 7's are medium action. I will be doing more LMB fishing this next summer also as a new friend has a boat and wants me to show him how to fly fish. So I'll be out with him some. The 7 wt will work but an 8 or 9 would likely allow me to cast those deer hair poppers a bit further is needed.

Is a 9 wt the right one for all this? Or would I be better served with a nice fast 8wt?

Is there a good all around, inland lake striper, LMB, salt water rod?

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I have to say that the 9wt is the way to go. I use mine almost exclusively for LMB, salmon, and saltwater. It really is a good all-round rod for making sometimes needed longer casts with large flies, and the extra backbone helps when trying to turn a big fish making a strong run. You'd certainly do well with the 8wt, but I think you'll be better off in the long run with the 9wt.

Be sure to invest in a good quality reel right off the bat. You'll be very glad you did.

Thunderthumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs
    I have to say that the 9wt is the way to go. I use mine almost exclusively for LMB, salmon, and saltwater. It really is a good all-round rod for making sometimes needed longer casts with large flies, and the extra backbone helps when trying to turn a big fish making a strong run. You'd certainly do well with the 8wt, but I think you'll be better off in the long run with the 9wt.

Be sure to invest in a good quality reel right off the bat. You'll be very glad you did.

Thunderthumbs.
    I agree on the reel, I am planning on getting a saltwater quality reel with backing capacity etc.
    ----------------
    Wayne

I lean towards an 8wt myself, but use a 9wt. for heavy cover situations and large flies in the wind. Also, since you already have a good 7wt., the 9wt would give you more overall versatility in the salt. Those reds and stripers can get big
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Waynep,

I fish a large, deep lake in Upstate South Carolina. We have good populations of LMB, hybrids, and stripers. I use two #9 weights when I'm fishing for the "big guys." One rod is rigged with a floating line and the other with a density-compensated, fast-sinking line. Since a lot of my hybrids and stripers are hooked in fairly open water, I could probably go lighter but then again, my friend claims to have had his yak towed over a mile by a large striper that he couldn't muscle to the surface.

My main reason for going with the #9 weights is not so much the size of the fish but rather the size of the flies (lures???) that I throw. I'm a firm believer in the old saying that big bass like big flies. Most of my flies run in the 4-6 inch range and I often have to toss them a long distance. One rule of lake fishing seems to be that the fish always break 20-25 feet outside of your extreme casting distance.

I think a nine weight is a good choice, particularly given the other fish that you intend to target. You could go lighter but.........

8T

Not for Lake El Salto! JGW

Hello waynep, I'll echo the reasons to have a 9wt and I don't know if they still offer them but I have a Bean Light Line Salt model that I picked up at an outlet store as a second and I'm not looking back. It will fire big hair and feather bugs into the wind with no problem. I'll also agree with the 'get a good salt reel' recommendation.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Bought me a 9 wt this morning!! Problem solved!

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Waynep,

I think you'll be pleased with your purchase. 8T

+ Reply to Thread