+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing to fly line connection

Default Backing to fly line connection

What knot do most use to connect the backing to the fly line?

Jeff

nail knot.

An Albright...but havn't tied one in so long I'd have to get the old knot book out.

------------------
    Regards
    nam
    nam

Does the Albright travel well through the guides of the rod, or does it hang up? Is that what you use on the working end of the line too?

Jeff

An Albright is bulkier than the nail knot...but cause a problem with hang ups? Well I've rarely seen my backing to date so my experience is limited. Line/leader...I use a perfection loop with just recently the Castwell. See topic Question-line to leader connection...dated May 9th.

------------------
    Regards
    nam

[This message has been edited by namekagon (edited 13 May 2005).]
    nam

I've started using the needle knot, where the leader butt comes right out of the center of the fly line. Coated with Loon's Knot Sense, it makes a very smooth, low profile connection. So far, so good.

Emerger

The knot you used depends on the situation. For trout and smaller fish, a nail knot works fine. It has to be tied correctly, though. Most of the time people tighten with the backing and tag end. This is a problem; it leads to a knot that will slip. To correctly tie a nail knot, tighten by holding the fly line end and the tag end of the backing first, then the tag end and the backing. This will cause the "uphill" end of the knot to tighten first, keeping it from slipping.

For bigger fish a nail knot can be a problem; you can lose a fly line with heavy tippet. For bigger fish I like an albright, double-nail knot, or loop-to-loop. Albright is the easiest and very strong but it is bulky. Double nail not bulky but a bit of a pain. Loop to loop nice because you can change out your fly lines but the biggest pain of all to do and I think the loops are probably the most unreliable method strength wise.

A long winded answer to a simple question but I hope it helps.

-John

[This message has been edited by ktokj (edited 14 May 2005).]

In the very few times a trout ever took me into the backing, the Albright knot worked fine for me.

Can't seem to play the animated versions of the knot link from JC....help...

If your fishing for big fish, do not use a nail knot! They can fail!
    I have fished Tarpon for 15yrs, we double the end of the fly line over and tie 2 nail knots to create a loop. Then double the backing over twice (you have two loops) and tie a surgeons loop. I have never had it fail, or ever seen it fail.

Josh White [url=http://www.rogueflyshop.com:cb87f]http://www.rogueflyshop.com[/url:cb87f]

+ Reply to Thread