My original plans were to dry fly fish only when I took up fly fishing. It's what I think fly fishing is supposed to be. Now, that's not putting down any other form of fly fishing. It's simply my preference. When I think of fly fishing. I think of a small mountain stream in a beautiful setting. You can't help but enjoy that experience. Even if you don't catch any fish.

I fished the lake today, and frankly I hated it. It reminded me too much of the spin fishing i've been doing all my life. I thought i'd enjoy it more, and actually bought the Scott S3 rod to do it along with larger rivers. Bad move on my part. I watched the fly line move at the mercy of the wind more than go anywhere near where I wanted it to go. Not fun at all.

Call me a purist, traditionalist, snobby, or an idiot. When I think of fishing with dry flies I get excited and a real good feeling inside. When I think of doing any other kind of fly fishing I get depressed. Really. Right or wrong I can't change those feelings. I believe tying my own flies is part of the whole experience too. So, i'll have to learn that too. I should have lot's of questions about that in the future. Meanwhile i'll read all I can on it.

I would love to get a bamboo rod, but they are way out of my price range. I'm thinking more of a graphite with an action close to bamboo. I think the Orvis Superfine will come pretty close. They make a 7'11' 4wt that will fit my needs. They have them on close out for $239. I can live with that and the 25 year warranty should out live me too.

Anyway, I know some of you know me from other forums, and i've been changing around a lot. This has been a struggle for me, but I know I have to do what appeals to me the most. I'm positive at this point that it's dry flies. I have some small creeks here in my area that I can fool with until I get to Colorado. Once in Colorado there must be tons of small streams I can explore. Those of you that know the Buena Vista area. What small streams will be available to me? I have a Jeep setup for offroading, so I can back into most areas and then hike a bit.

Sorry for bending your ears guys. I have a feeling i'll be on this forum for quite awhile, and wanted to get this off my chest.