Today I went to my friend Rick's funeral.
He went to the hospital a few days ago, with stomach pain and he died. He was 53 yrs old, same as me.
Knowing he and his wife since the late 60's, I was committed to going to the service. Rick had a hellish growing up because his Parents were alcoholics and they beat on him.
The amazing thing is the church was packed with standing room only. WHY? because Rick made a impact in his life by being a great father and friend.
This was the toughest funeral I have ever been to because Rick died suddenly and his wife Cindy is a gentle and kind person who is going to have problems dealing with this tragedy.
Rick's son talked about his father and cracked up the audience with this story; Matt remembered when he was 12 and fishing with his grandpa and Rick (Dad)
Matt was catching fish and feeling good! he heard a scream! Matt turned his head and saw Rick half standing hunched over moaning in the middle seat of the boat. Matt became aware that grandpa had begun his cast, but got snagged on something, it was Rick's rear end!
Matt said he saw things that day that would stay with him forever! Rick standing in the boat with his pants down and his grandpa cutting the hook out with his pocket knife (it took 45 min.)
Rick's life was a good example because instead of feeling sorry for himself, he took the challenge of being a husband, father and friend. He also had compassion.
I think there will be a lot more people around here using barbless hooks from now on.
Doug