+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spinhead...

1. Default Spinhead...

Opinions on this? :
    http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/spinhead.htm
    It looks like the thin metal tube allows you to put your line through it.

The fish catching appeal is sound since putting a spinner with a clevis and a few beads on the line ahead of the fly is an established Great Lakes steelhead/salmon technique.

Normand Guest

Sure wouldnt be flyfishing if you ask me!

IMHO it's not a fly or flyfishing. But if it's legal and it's something you want to try, knock yourself out.

It appears to just create an in-line spinner such as a Mepps Rooster Tail or something along those lines. I don't think I would put it in a fly class.
    Steve

Well, if you use those things, then you aren't fly fishing, but as long as that doesn't bother you, they look like some fairly effective spinners. I would be more interested in fishing them on a spinning rod anyway, because IMO it might be easier to give them good action that way.

It makes me think of a related question: Are you fly fishing if you use flies and a water bubble on a spinning rod? I would say not at all.

Historically, spinners ahead of flies were very popular before the advent of spinning tackle.

This just seems to be a simple way to add a spinner to whichever fly you wish without having to 'build it in' when tying the fly.

Maybe not 'fly fishing' to those who ascribe to the modern definitions, but certainly 'fly fishing' for those who respect the history of the sport.

Just my opinion, of course.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default My sentiments exactly Buddy

I think it's a heck of an invention so that you can add it to any fly but I agree it's not really fly-fishing. Personally, I just think using the long stick is more fun now that I've learned a little about it but I would use nearly anything on the end of my leader because I'm certainly no purist. I also agree that it would work better on my custom build spinning rod that I'm letting collect dust since learning the long stick.

Someobody please answer this. Are there any US/local companies with this thing? These would make awesome gifts for my family members who strictly spin fish for trout (and for myself).

8. Default

Gigante, I don't know of a NA source for those but "spinner flys" or spinners that can be attached to a fly via a clasp or bent shaft/spring are pretty common:
    http://www.luckystrikebaitworks.com/...t_spinners.asp
    I just thought that the use of a tube was interesting, but definitely not a "revolution".

Strictly speaking, tube flys are not legal "artificial flys" in my parts since the hook is not dressed. But this rule only applies to a few lakes where aurora trout are managed.

Other managed waters where fly fishing is mostly done is "artificial lure, single barbless hook" so the spinner is fine. Funny enough, using multi-fly rigs (hopper/dropper, czech, loch style "casts", etc. will get you charged and fined.

I think the link below is in line with Buddy's post and makes for interesting reading:

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/cl...RodLures_2.htm

I'm pretty sure I have some old catalogs around here that include flies for fly fishing from the first half of the 1900's. I vaguely recall seeing all sorts of flies with spinners on them clearly listed for fly fishing. Maybe it's just late and my brain is tired but I'd swear those pages were in color and the vast majority of the rest of the catalog was in black and white.

Mind you, these are hard bound catalogs from back when printing in color was reserved for very important things only...it costs too much to make the whole thing in color.

I'll see if I can dig it up and scan a page for posting. We're not talking some modern junky catalog...these are part of a collection (for their old tools content) and look more like an encyclopedia than any catalog you'd get in the mail today.

If you were tired of fly fishing, or just frugal, you could use the spinhead, a fly, and some split shot together with a lightweight spin rod outfit.

If I used that with the kind of cast I've got, I'd take off an ear.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

+ Reply to Thread