RST, I haven't fished the Clinch and so I can't help you much there. I have always considered the Wooly Bugger to be a "tumble and bumble" sort of fly, letting drift and then crawling it back. Fast darts for short distances are appropriate if I am trying to imitate a crawfish or a sculpin. <scratching head> I don't suppose that I have ever really thought about a particular strategy. I just go with what seems right and then watch the fish snicker at me... Actually, I have to make myself call it a streamer. If I hadn't seen it listed as a streamer in so many places, I would not have ever thought of it in that way.

Have you ever used mini buggers, tied on long shank 14 or 16 hooks with floss (cotton DMC or other), micro chenille, or dubbing bodies and ostrich herl palmered up it. For durability, I'll often counter-wrap it with fine wire. Weight is optional. With very little or no weight, they can be tied to make good caterpillars. I had a new one chewed to pieces by bluegill a couple of weeks ago. I drifted it very slowly in deep pools.

regards,
Ed