+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have a bicep tendon repair?How did it work out?

Default Anyone here have a bicep tendon repair?How did it work out?

I'm looking at a surgical repair of my (distal)biceps tendon in my casting arm- where it attatches to the lower arm through the elbow. There was the option of doing nothing and living with a funky looking arm and some permanent loss of strength, but at 43 I am not willing to give up on full recovery and loss of function. My Dr. tells me that I won't be lifting anything heavier than a soda can for approx 6weeks. I was just wondering if anyone here had first hand experience as to how it affected you (besides a built in excuse for a sloppy cast now and then)....

ow!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hey Backbeach,
    Funny you should ask. I'm 63 years old and I scraped off my bicep tendon about 4 years ago trying to lift large wide object into a dumpster (commode). I actually heard the scraping down of the muscle as it became an ugly ball just above the elbow joint. I had a good school buddy, an orthopedic surgeon do the repair/reattachment within a few days. The only problem I see is that the point at which the reattachment is done is not as wide as nature had it. It looks like the tendon was originally attached over a wider area and now is attached at only a very narrow point. It is fully functional but still looks a bit "funky" when the bicep is exercised. There is also a tendency to cramp up and feels like it wants to tear off again.I'd estimate that it's about 60% from normal before injury. But other than that, I'm glad I had the surgery. Good luck with yours.

Mark
    PS: After re-reading your post, I see that your reattachment will be at the elbow while mine was at the upper end ( shoulder)

Marco, That's interesting. They told me if I did nothing I could expext aboout 80% strength, mostly limited in the supination (or turning motion) of the hand. I am wary of reinjury- even before they've scheduled the surgery (which should be done within 2 weeks before scar tissue and atrophy sets in). I wonder if every time I hoist a boat battery or canoe am I going to feel like I'm a ticking bomb.... The Dr. is the same one that did a great job on the left shoulder (fractured socket and Bankhart procedure) last spring. After that surgery he assured me the shoulder was as strong as before the accident- which resulted from a bad fall. Hopefully he'll be on his game when he does this one...

Backbeach,
    I never even considered doing nothing.If I had done nothing it seems I could not even have been able to do a weightless "curl" with that arm ( left and I'm right handed) But I do recall that as an option,doing nothing. The 60% I mentioned is my personal calculation perhaps factoring in a bit of "careful" not to re-injure. There is still no way I could do a full weight chin-up ( I think).
    In any case, I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery is uneventful.

Mark

I had the 'tennis elbow' surgery in 1965, over use in industry job. Thirteen stitches in the right elbow to scrape the tendon leading forward. It connects to the big muscle on the top of the forearm. Could not pick up a cup of coffee. For re-hab after the surgery (elbow in a cast for a few weeks) was fly casting (my idea)... still in re-hab. lol (seems to be working fine tho)

Oh Boy

Backbeach

I had the SAME problem this year so I can speak with authority on what you are facing.

This April 2006, I was fishing on a NJ WTS and it is very steep and rocky. I blew out my right knee ( torn ACL and cartilege ) in '03 while fishing ( a slip and plunge fall ) SO I WANTED TO BE VERY CAREFUL that I did not hurt myself again.

I hooked my arm around a 1 foot diameter tree while I was stepping down so I would not slip or fall. When I stepped down, it was a little further than I thought. Essentially, I put my entire 250+ lb wight on my left biceps tendon. ( Like trying to do a 250 lbs curl - It just doesn't work )
    SNAP, CRACKLE, POP.

Same location as you. Ruptured Distal Biceps, at the elbow.

FIRST THING - IF YOU ARE COMTEMPLATING IT,
    I URGE YOU TO GET SURGERY ASAP. There is the "muscle shrinkage and atrophication" issue that you have already experienced.
    It makes repair all the more difficult.

The first two surgeons ( in healthcare network ) that I contacted said they could give me an appointment in about 3 weeks post injury.

The next surgeon that I called ( he was out-of-network, who incidently had just repaired my 83 year old Aunt's broken hip 4 months before, AND was just recently named one of the 200 best physician in NJ ) TOLD ME TO COME IN TO HIS OFFICE IMMEDIATLY THAT AFTERNOON.

He informed me that the sooner that I had the surgery, the better.

OK, I had it done.

Post-surgical pain was tolerable.
    ( not like the knee ).
    A week of Oxycontin, and then Tylenol handled the pain well.

I spent two (2) weeks in a cast.
    I then spent the next six weeks in a brace that they use to gradually increase the amount of extension you can achieve.

My issues:
    Some ( apparently ) permanent residual numbness along my forearm and back of the thumb ( only ). It no longer tingles but I can not feel much. It appears to be getting marginally better very slowly. The surgeon said that in one year post surgery, that is "what I'll be left with".

A BIG Scar ( manly )

It now is looking better and better.

Long rehabilitation time,
    The forearm and biceps muscles still quickly fatigue.
    I am up to doing 5 lb curls ( 7 months later ) to strengthen.

As Mark said, There is also a tendency to cramp up and feels like it wants to tear off again.I'd estimate that mine's ALSO about 60% from normal before injury ( at this point ). MY knee is back to about 90 % now.

The GOOD news is that I was able to return to fishing ( occaisionally ) late this summer / early fall.

You will be extremely paranoid about re-injuring and you will be constantly thinking about it.

Would I do it all over again?

ABSOLUTELY

Oh yes, I am 55 years old, I didn't think my bud Marco was THAT OLD ( yeah - like the pot calling the kettle black - right Marco ? )

Hmmm, I wonder if they have a new procedure. My surgeon told me that they would make a small incision inside the elbow, another outside the elbow and reach up, grab the tendon - thread it through the elbow out the otherside and back down to the bone in the forearm and stitch it down. He said I'd be in a sling a few days, just an ace bandage on it -but not to lift anything heavier than a full soda can for almost a month. (I wonder if that precludes tying flies...?) then I start P/T back to work in 3 mos. at approx. full capacity... I'm just hoping the insurance co. gets moving! So far it's phone tag and wait some more...til Dr. gets the OK to schedule operation. This is an on the job injury, so I'm new to this bureacracy..... Doc did warn of possible tingling in forearm, as where the tendon passes though the elbow its a tight fit with nerves and blood vessels all in close proximity. I hope I get flycasting for P/T, although I don't see them springing for a 4 wt as "medical equipment".

Whatever the method, I Googled this info
    from the Mayo Clinic:

surgical repair torn distal biceps tendon

Conclusions: Most of the morbidity from repair of the distal biceps tendon can be attributed primarily to a delay in the timing of the repair and secondarily to an extensive anterior exposure. More importantly, radioulnar synostosis is rare following the muscle-splitting modification of the two-incision technique, which can be performed safely even by surgeons with limited experience with this procedure.

Crushed my bicepital tendon running into a wall playing raquetball. Had surgery next day and it took a year to fully rehab the arm, but I am 72 and can cast an 8 or 9 wgt all day chasing smallies and pike. No residual problems whatsoever. Just a lot of hard work and there must be a commitment on the patient's part to fight through the rehab pain to get where you want to go. No hard work, no pain, no regaining full use of your extremity.

Chugger

+ Reply to Thread