+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada / U.S. Relations

Default Canada / U.S. Relations

I live in Nova Scotia. A few years ago we had a fly shop that carried Thomas and Thomas fly rods. The first time I picked one up I new I would eventually buy one. The shop is now gone. I finely have the money for a T&T so I started a search on the internet. One hit got my attention, the rod I was looking for and the word "sale". I opened the link. The rod I wanted was $115 off and the shop was in Connecticut. Perfect. I called the shop first thing this morning, they still had the rod but when they found out I live in Canada they informed me they would not ship outside the USA. I could not believe a shop would turn down a sale because they did not want to ship to Canada.
    Is this a sign of things to come between our two countries or is this just a shop that is doing so well they do not need any hassels?

2. Default

sdcanoe,

Is that fly shop on Agricola St. still in business?

I think you should buy from a Canadian dealer and avoid the hassles. Here is the only Canadian dealer for T&T --
    http://www.wilsonstoronto.com/gear.html#rr

Did you ask if that was their standard policy? Is it possible they are not familiar with international shipping?

overmywaders,
    Yes the shop on Agricola is still there, but they only sell Sage and Hardy.
    I agree it is best to buy local. The big attraction to the shop in Connecticut was the $115 off regular price. New England and the Maritimes have always shared a strong connection, that is why I was so surprised they would not ship the rod.

International Shipments can go by government carriers (International Postal Union), of which each country is a member) or by private couriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.)

The fly shop would package it just the same as if they were mailing it to Minnesota. Just need the proper Custom Forms, which they can get at their local Post Office. While they are there, they can have the Window Clerk, check the International Mailing Manuel (IMM) for shipping conditions, and rates.

It is not complicated, and very straight forward. They can tell you the amount American, and you can send a Canadian Postal Money Order (that is payable American Currency) to pay for the rod and shipping cost. Be sure that the rod is "Numbered Insured"! You may have to pay "Canadian Custom Charges" when you receive the shipment. ~Parnelli

PS. You can copy this and send it to the fly shop when you order the fly rod.

You will find that there are a lot of shops that won't ship products across the Canada/USA border. The form that customs requires takes all of about 2 minutes to fill out (and i fill out a lot of them).

It is baffling that shops will turn away business like that. From my little shop here in Nova Scotia i routinely ship to half a dozen different countries with very little hassle.

Hello sdcanoe, you might have someone you know in the States buy the rod and then send it to you. Prolly be faster anyway. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Some companies/people are just odd. We had a business many years ago in Montana. Ordered boxes and shipping material from a supplier in Spokane WA. After taking the order, and then getting the shipping address they said, "We don't ship to Montana." What? He was serious, would not ship even if paid for in advance!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Canada

I can understand why they don't want to ship outside the US. It is a royal pain sometimes, especially since 9/11. I used to buy and sell a lot on EBay to Canada, but the last time was so much trouble, I no longer bid on items from Canada, nor will I ship there.

You have to deal with currency exchange, customs, security and other issues.

Here is a suggestion. Ask one of our members here at FAOL if they wouldn't just buy it and ship it to you. I'd be happy to if I lived in Ct.

Just a thought.

Semper Fi!

As Jamie pointed out, the form for customs takes less than 2 minutes to fill out. The only other hassel is the delay in shipping by 1 or 2 weeks to clear customs. Items are always paid for before they are shipped so there is no risk. Last year I sold a rod on Ebay to a guy in Scotland. He emailed me to see if it was all right to bid. I told him if he would pay the shipping charge and be willing to wait it was no problem. He was the high bidder and we were both happy. I could not imagine turning away a customer because of shipping.

+ Reply to Thread