+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PFD vest

Default PFD vest

I prefer a chest pack but I also like being alive too. I fish some rougher spots on occasion and I also fishing alone at times. Any recommendations on a small non-intrusive inflatable personal flotation device that is also a fly fishing vest? Thanks

JC and I have 2 which are lightweight jackets and 2 which are shorty fishing vests. See them here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/stormyseas.html

They are great.

I gave up on the ones with all the pockets, they got too heavy. Hope you came back to see if anyone answered.

I'm a big fan of the Stormy Seas stuff. I have the basic vest- not the FF model- and use it as a layer. Some like the SOS stuff (my girlfriend has SOS Suspenders-I think they call it) but I don't see it as being that inobtrusive- unless its really hot and you don't have much else on.... The nice thing about the Stormy vest is that you can wear it like a regular garment. It's comfortable and you don't feel like a dork.... The SOS doesn't work like that, requiring another layer besides it- next thing you know, you feel like the kid in the snowsuit in "A Christmas Story" who can't move!!! I don't think they offered the FlyFishing vest when I got mine way back when. Oh, one other thing I like about the regular vest as opposed to one designed as a Fly Fishing vest. You don't have to swap stuff out if you fish for different species. For instance, I just keep the vest with my generic fishing bag- it's there whether I'm going Cod fishing, tuna wishing, or fly fishing... I think SOS also makes a fanny pack type inflatable, but I can't see how that could be in the same league safety-wise as something supporting your upper body. I'd rather not be floating down a raging river "butt-up"...

Backbeach, really glad to hear that. I have spent many years promoting the jackets, coats and vests of theirs. I live right here (Poulsbo) where they are made and know them well. And I know the reason Mike invented the system. After he was lost at sea, from a crab boat, he dedicated the rest of his life to saving others and built a world-wide company. I admire him, I like Mike and I do all I can to convince others that the products they make are so well designed that you WILL actually use them and they might save your life.
    info04@stormyseas.com
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/stormyseas.html
    http://www.stormyseas.com/

When I bought mine, it came with a booklet including Mike's story. I was very impressed with his vision- as well as his attention to detail and functionality. The thing has held up really well- quality made thoughout. I suggest a bright color both so you can be spotted in the drink- and it lights up a picture with a good fish. You can always add a drab layer over in a place where spooking a fish is a concern. I hope more people invest in them BEFORE they have one too many close calls. Mind you, I swim like a fish, but not when I'm gear laden or messed up from a fall or 2miles offshore in 50 deg water.....

I and several fishbuds use a Stearns waist pack PDF. I do not even know it is own. See

http://www.stearnsinc.com/Recreation/NC ... ID=7875187
    Max

+ Reply to Thread