+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Train ride to Montana

Default Train ride to Montana

Hi, I am thinking about taking the train out to Montana and spending a week or so. It stops in Havre,Shelby and Cut Bank. Does anyone that hangs out here know anything about those towns? Can you give me the name of a cabin or campgrounds? How easy is it going to be to get to a river? Will I need to rent a car?

I'd suggest you keep going and go to East or West Glacier or Whitefish. If it were me, I'd go to Whitefish, rent a car, and hit the various Flathead drainages. Nice campgrounds in the park or plenty of private campgrounds on the outskirts.

While Glacier isn't a "noted" Montana fly fishing destination, I just love going up that way every year. It's been my favorite trip the past few summes. The area is just so darn beautiful.

It would help if you suggested what time of year you plan to do this. Its -20 in Helena right now so you're likely to be fishing alone if you came out now. The Amtrak stops at a few more places than what you've mentioned. I'd suggest you dig out a map and determine where you want to fish. If you stop at Havre, Cut Bank or Shelby, you'll need to rent a car and drive to get to any really decent fishing. From Havre, it will be about 2 hours drive to the Missouri River near Great Falls. From Cut Bank, you're on the east side of glacier park and have a few smaller rivers to fish, or could drive under the park on Hwy 2 and hit the middle fork of the flathead or drive south about 2 hours and fish the Missouri. From Shelby, you are about an hour north of Great Falls and the Missouri River. There are some lakes and smaller rivers near Shelby, but it would not be a recommended fishing destination.
    The Amtrak stops in Libby right on the Kootenai river (big water and can be great fishing). It also stops in Whitefish closer to the Seeley Swan valley which has a lot of good fishing (and in the summer alot of people too.
    The more popular fishing destinations in Montana, i.e. Bighorn, Madison, Big Hole, are all about 3 hours + drive south from the High Line, so you'll need to rent a car if you want to fish any of these rivers via Amtrak.

4. Default not a lot

Not a lot of great fishing oppurtunities in those towns. Head down to sw western MT or western MT.
    RMB

+ Reply to Thread