Since I am starting to get PMs for these two wet fly patterns, I will post them here for everybody. I don't know of a web-site that has these exact pattern recipes (there may be one though) so I will give them as I tie them. The improved to me means they are basically soft hackles and omit the wing used on the original patterns. I have not found that the duck quill sections wing or lack thereof in any way reduces the effectiveness of these two wet flies.

IBG or Improved Black Gnat

Hook:Southbend or Matzuo baitholder (most any baitholder) or any standard wet fly hook in sizes 8 and smaller (size 10 is my most used but I also use sizes 8 and 12). EagleClaw 084A-8 is a plain short shank that should also work.

Thread: Black 6/0

Tail: Black hackle fibers (hook shank length)

Body: Black chenille

Hackle collar: Two or three turns of black hen hackle and laid back wet fly style

Head: Black thread

IM or Improved McGinty

Hook:Southbend or Matzuo baitholder (most any baitholder) or any standard wet fly hook in sizes 8 and smaller (size 10 is my most used but I also use sizes 8 and 12). EagleClaw 084A-8 is a plain short shank that should also work.

Thread: Black 6/0

Tail: Red hackle fibers (hook shank length)

Body: One turn of each color yellow, black, and yellow chenille

Hackle collar: Two or three turns of yellow or ginger hen hackle and laid back wet fly style

Head: Black thread

Here is the article that has a photo of the flies:

[url=http://warmwaterflyfisher.com/wwjournal/wwjournaboutbluegill_Wet%20Flies%20for%20Big%20%27 Gills%20and%20Crappies.htm:eea39]Wet Flies for Big 'Gills and Crappies[/url:eea39]

I will post any other pattern recipes for the flies that I gave Joe as he uses them in his articles or if I am asked. Al's Crappie Candy pattern is found in the Fly Tying Archives, I just used a single strand of yellow chartreuse nylon yarn for the body on the Crappie Candy fly in Joe's photo (Brand: Needloft, brand color is called Bright Yellow). I have also had good luck for Specks on that particular color Crappie Candy.

Joe,

I'm sorry I only gave you samples of each and if I had more wet fly or baitholder hooks on hand at the time, I would have sent more. I will try to get some more IBGs and IMs to you when I get some more wet fly hooks or baitholders and I'll throw in some more Crappie Candies also or any others that are working good for you that you might need. Looks like the fish wanted nymphs more than other types of flies....this time. Next time you go out it might be entirely different what they want, I just never know from one time to the next. Another good article, thanks.