Sometimes it works the other way around too. I went to a place nearby that I had wanted to fish and was just learning the lay of the land. An older fellow was just finishing up and I ventured to go over and talk with him. Not looking for anything other than a hello. Well I was sure fooled. I had met one of the old men of that river who knew every rock and every hole there was. He pointed out to me when to fish this side and when to fish that, which holes were better for dry flies and which for wet. Then he told me of a place that is easy access and not generally known to many. Suffice it to say he was more gracious than I could imagine. Since then I have shared that wisdom with others as he had with me. All he knew about me is that I had a flyrod in hand.

I have since found he is having trouble standing in the currents and has been fishing less and less. I offered to go out with him any time he wanted and to be his leaning post. Next spring I have a trip in mind with a guide friend that has a drift boat. Then he can sit and fish. I owe him and would quite frankley love to sit at his knee for a day and soak up the information he has gathered over the years.

What goes around comes around.

jed