+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Safety

Default Your Safety

I owned and used boats for many yrs. I learned how to operate them the same way as everything else, the HARD WAY!
    I know about the attraction of a boat and motor. You have the freedom of going places others don't have access to. It's not like driving a car, where a policeman will pull you over for doing something wrong or someone will honk their horn when you cut them off.
    At this time of the year, a boater is taking their life and the lives of their passengers in their hands.
    Two recent deaths show that if you fall out of your boat in cold water, your chances of surviving are slim.
    No one is going to stop you from putting three guys in a 12 foot boat in a flooding river. Could it be that the owner of the boat had limited experience and his two buddies knew nothing about boats?
    Boating can be dangerous in the best of conditions, but cold water adds more danger.
    If you operate a boat, make sure your passengers follow YOUR rules. Fun can change to tragedy.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Doug,

Man are you right. Years ago, I thought only sissies wore life vests. After fishing a number of tournaments, running 80 mph through all weather conditions known to mankind, experiencing boats broken in half and numerous other devestating events, a life vest didn't seem so bad. I have a feeling no one was in a life vest. It can keep you up long enough to receive help, even when hypothermia is at hand.
    Steve

I almost lost an uncle when I was a kid--cold deep water, small jon boat, big wind, no life jacket (he was duck hunting and never even thought about it). He made it, barely, but needless to say, a lesson driven home hard in a young mind that's still there today.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill222
    --cold deep water, small jon boat, big wind, no life jacket (he was duck hunting and never even thought about it)
    Boy bluegill, that sounds sickeningly familiar.
    It was guy I use to live with, nasty day, duck hunting, coldwater (christmas eve eve (12-23)), tiny jon boat. Then add a big goofy Newfoundland dog, in the open salt water.
    The dog swam to shore, My friend didn't make it.
    Not something I like to think about.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I run a sled on NW Washington rivers. These are big rivers with plenty of cold white water. Everyone in my boat is required to wear life vests which I supply. It is a small thing that may save someone's life. I have been running jets since I was about 18 but even the most experienced can get into trouble. Always in the boat are extra dry clothes, first aid kit, food, water, fire starting kit, flares, horn, tool kit and cell phone. All in water proof bags. Trouble happens very fast with no warning and a big cold river will kill you quickly. I am amazed at how many people run these rivers without even the basics like a life vest. Every year I worry about folks on the river and I know it will happen someday.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

The TV show, I Shouldn't Be Alive, was on last night and it was about a Father and Son who go on a pontoon raft trip in Alaska, in EARLY JUNE!
    The river was high and fast, their raft hit ice, tipped over and they were trapped under the ice.
    They barely got to shore alive. The Son hiked 50 miles and was stopped by a big river. A miracle happened when a Bush plane spotted the Son and a helicopter went back and found the Father alive.
    There is nothing wrong with going on a GUIDED trip. If your going to cover 100 miles on a river in the spring, you are ASKING for trouble. People's stubborness and pride come into play. The Son in this Alaska story said he didn't want to take his Dad with a Group. His Dad thought it was a BAD idea to go alone.
    After this near disaster was over with, the Son said over and over that he was SORRY!
    It bothers me that Jet boats are so readily available for people that have NO boating experience.
    It's almost like being a first time buyer of a 4 wheel drive truck and thinking you can drive into the wilderness in deep snow.
    MY opinion is, that if you want to mess with the wilderness for the first time, please go with a professional. Being safe and organized is the key to a successful trip.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Amen to that.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread