Another internet success story. Used forum advice and took the plunge into fly tying. Tied my first three flies over Thanksgiving. Not professional but I bet they catch fish, which after all is why I am doing this. The advice on equipment is invaluable. I would never have known where to get or what to get without it. Purchasing the Dan vise w/ the tools Al selected with it made a really cost effective entry path.

Other advice and sites on ?How to Tie? have been a Godsend. I would have never, ever, never figured out how to use a Thompson whip finisher just reading written instructions, NEVER! Sites like www.tie1on.net/#animations are truly invaluable.

Being a newbie, I would advise others to buy the kits that y?all recommended. Starting out with these simple to tie patterns, the gurgler and wooly booger sure build your confidence. Plus the kits keep you out of the jungle of fly tying materials that you know nothing about. You get what you need, period. I would have bought stuff I did not need and might not ever use if not for the kits.

I am looking forward to finding a club in my town and learning more. Till then, Thanks for all of the really fine information on how to get started!