+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter fishing in NY?-updated-

Three options from my side of things:

1. Steelhead/late lake-run browns in either Ontario or Erie tributaries. Salmon River, Grindstone Creek, and Sandy Creek all fish well through winter, particularly the SR. Winter steelheading can be quite rewarding once you figure out what you're doing.

2. If snow isn't too deep, fishing the 'Dacks for brookies, as they'll generally take dries all year long. Even Catskills for brookies and browns where possible, though browns will want things smaller and slower as butternut mentioned initially.

3. Inland trout streams that are open during the winter. Open both for fishing and open flow. Oatka is a good example, it fishes well during the winter when the water isn't high.

My personal preference is #1 and I'm probably farther away from the holes than butternut.

Marty

PS I fished butternut creek outside Syracuse when I was in college and caught some mighty nice browns and a few brookies there.

STD,

You are making me wish to the gods I had taken my gear with me...I just returned from a 5 day stay at my in-laws for the Turkey day weekend....In North Syracuse..Lived in the city for almost 2 years before moving back here and hardly wet a line in that time between the new fam and the new job I was working...

I think a trade is going to have to be in order for the coming year...As the Father in-law wants a stay here for some deer hunting with me...and I NEED to hit the Salmon River....Not sure I need be there during the salmon runs..as I've been told of late summer/Early fall Brown Trout fishing that rivals that of the west...weather this was an exaggeration of the shop owner that I got it from is up for grabs,But I sure want my chance to find out...

I know the Butternut Creek near the Cuse and had fished it a bit...Is this near you Butternut?
    Unfortunately I passed up an oppertunity to fish Nine Mile Creek with a Tyer and Guide who frequents this site from the area...who offered to let me tag along on his day off.
    But for me..Knowing how he makes his living and to "Tag along" Not having the extra cash to pay for the day was just not an option for me...Still thank him for that offer though..
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Tough to recommend places until whe know just where Butternutt-tyer is located.

MrFishingToughGuy - You recommend the Adirondack's but 99.9% of the water there is closed all winter.

DF-

Is that right? I know access is a ***** but I remember a few places being open. It's been so long that I can't recall the names but I'm sure you have a better working knowledge of that area than I do!

BT-

Where are ya bud?

Marty

Default winter fishing in NY

Sorry it took me awhile to get back online. THANKS to all who are responding.
    I got sick 3 years ago and still fighting hard. Sometimes wake up calls come early in life, like me, and sometimes later down the road.
    The answear is to never give up!
    So...why not freeze your butt off in a creek?
    PLUS, throw the fishys back after you catch them!
    "Man are we a strange bunch"!
    My home waters are the Butternut,Otego,Warton and Schenvus Creeks. Theses are in the Central Leatherstocking areas of NY. Not far from Cooperstown, Oneonta areas. 2 hours South of 'Cuse.

Lots of people wrote about the streams, rivers and tributaries that can be fished throughout central New York.

I have one more Finger Lake option. During the winter I spend some time fishing Cayuga, Senaca and Keuka Lakes from shore. You can catch bass, pike, land locks, rainbow trout, and brown trout.

Fishing can be brutal on some days because overcast, slightly windy days are the best for fishing. Anyway, the general strategy, and I am certain it will work on any of the Finger Lakes, is to locate points, ledges, warm water discharges and tributary mouths and fish the edges/dropoffs. In many areas it is possible to wade into the lake waist deep and make a 20 yard cast and be in deep water. In other areas you don't even need to do that.

Generally I use a sinking or intermediate line, 10 ft 9 Wt rod, reel with decent drag, casting basket and large bunny flies.

The flies are based on a double bunny pattern I bought in a local (now out of business) fly shop. Essentially, the fly is a clouser minnow tied with bunny strips instead of bucktail. Lots of flash attached. My favorite color combos are white/grey and white/chartruese(sp).

I also use this pattern in the local tribs for salmon and browns.

+ Reply to Thread