But especially a holiday weekend. I went to a canal that has Specks in it today and when I got to the bridge to fish from the bank, there must have been at least 10 boat trailers at the ramp but could have been 15. I got to the bridge around 2 pm and planned on fishing until dark but boat #1 was already under the bridge and soon pulled out. Speck spook #1. Wait an hour for them to calm down and come back to the bridge pilings. Two guys in a pick-up roar around the bridge asking if I caught anything. I just shook my head and said "no." Boat #2 goes under the bridge to the ramp to load and one of the guys ask if I caught anything. At this point I didn't say but wanted to say, "I'm having the same luck you are for the same reason." I just shook my head and said "no." Speck spook #2. An hour later after the Specks calmed down and came back to the bridge pilings, I did manage to hang one Speck on my 5 wt. fly rod using a sinking line and a #8 yellow chartreuse Crappie Candy fly but they don't call them "Papermouth" for nothing as this one got off the hook just as I got it near the surface. The Speck took the fly after the fly dropped but just when the canal current started to move the fly. I never got to even start the retrieve. I made maybe one or two more fruitless casts and also on the other side of the bridge before coming back to the original side. At this point, two more guys in boat #3 pull up to the bridge and this one is aluminum. Speck spook #3. They constantly moved from one spot to another dropping and picking up anchor, banging around in the boat, and the boat banging against the bridge pilings. I'm biding my time fiddling with my tackle in hopes these two fellows will move on. No such luck as they camped right under the bridge opening and closing coolers, tossing things into the water. Boats #4 and #5 go under the bridge to the ramp to load. I know the Specks aren't coming back until the noise and activity stops and that wasn't going to happen so I'm done for the day. Hope your day was better .

Word of caution. I saw a water moccasin and a cottonmouth in around the bridge rip-rap rocks so be careful when bridge fishing.